"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:11, NIV)

A memory verse is a passage of Scripture that is memorized. The memorization of Scripture is considered to be a spiritual discipline. This is one of the first disciplines to be taught, as many children in Sunday School are rewarded for learning their weekly memory verse.

Benefits of Memorizing Scripture

  • Memorizing Scripture helps us improve our general memory skills.
  • We become more able to discern the will of God in a situation by having a greater command of His word.
  • The act of memorization also aids the process of meditating and considering that portion of Scripture.
  • We gain command of words of encouragement from the Bible that help us when we are experiencing potholes in the road of life, or to help others in their time of need.
  • We are more ready to "give an answer to anyone who asks about the hope you possess." (1 Peter 3:15, NET).

How to Memorize Scripture (at least, one way)

  1. First, choose a verse or passage to memorize.
  2. Write down the verse or passage and put it in a place where it will grab your attention (a common location is the refrigerator door).
  3. When you see the written verse, read it to yourself, either out loud or silently (it really helps to read it out loud).
  4. As you become familiar with it, when you see the verse, close your eyes and try to recite the verse (with the address) from memory. Open your eyes, compare what you just said with what was written down.
  5. Continue this until you can reliably recite the verse from memory. Then, pick another verse and repeat.

A Few Common Memory Verses (verses below in NIV translation)

  • John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
  • Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
  • John 14:6 - Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
  • Isaiah 40:31 - But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be fain.
  • Psalm 119:105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.