A meatotomy (mee-ah-tot-ah-mee) is a procedure that involves cutting the underside of the glans of the penis along the urethra up to the pont where the glans ends and the shaft begins. The procedure was originally used to relieve a urethral obstruction (meatal stenosis) caused by scar tissue at the tip of the urethra, but is now also done as a body modification. It is often performed as a precursor to advanced sounding. The procedure makes peeing standing up not possible for most men, but there are rubber insert catheter-like devices available to restore the aim of a non-split urethra.

Because meatotomy procedures are not very common, the procedure has not been done enough times for a tried-and-true method to evolve. However, there are many similarities among methods. Often a hemostat is inserted into the urethra and clamped on the area to be cut; this dulls nerve endings and closes off blood vessels. When the hemostat comes off the skin is very thin, and is then cut using a scalpel. Cauterizing the sides of the cut is possible but not necessary as the sides of the cut will not heal back together. Healing time varies on the individual and how well it is cared for, but bleeding should stop within a week and all sexual activity should be avoided to prevent the wound from reopening.

Because of the nature of this modification, it is more common than other extreme mods to be self-done: however this is not recommended at all as the area is rather tender and contains at least two large nerves and quite a few blood vessels. Go to your local piercing studio, and if someone there will not perform it, ask if they know anyone who will.

Related to the meatotomy procedure is the subincision, a meatotomy in which the cut extends deeper into the shaft of the penis.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.