McMuffin is the McDonald's term for an English muffin.

McMuffins are shipped to the stores, pre-made by locally contracted bakeries. Upon arrival, they are frozen and are good in the freezer for two months. Every morning, an employee will pull out the next days ration of McMuffins which are then placed on bun racks to thaw. Thawed muffins have a secondary shelf life of 48 hours.

Each morning begins with the opener sending the McMuffins through a dual heat toaster oven. The muffins are pre-scored for separation and will pull apart to be placed insides up on a toasting rack. The ideal toasted qualities should result in a lightly browned, crisp, evenly toasted product. They are then placed onto a Universal Heating Cabinet tray with a wire rack. This tray is designed to withstand up to 200 degrees of heat applied to it in the cabinet. This helps to keep the products warm, while the wire rack allows air to get to the muffin so it won't get mushy.

When a customer places an order for a muffin sandwich, an assembly employee will remove the muffin from the tray and place it on correct wrapper. The muffin will be placed with its crown facing down on the lower right hand corner of the wrap and the heel facing insides up on upper left hand side of the wrapper. Butter will then be applied to the heel of the muffin by using a measured squirt bottle. Technically, it should be one teaspoon of butter, but watch out! Those McDonald's employees are tricky and will often squirt more than that.

Depending upon the type of McMuffin ordered, the ingredients will be put on in different orders.

Cheese will always be the first thing put on the sandwich. Next, if you are having an Egg McMuffin, a round egg, made from USDA Class A eggs (not the imitation stuff), will be placed on top of the cheese, followed by a piece of Canadian Bacon. For a Sausage McMuffin, the sausage will come first and then the egg, if ordered, will be placed on top of that. The crown will then be placed on top and the sandwich will be wrapped, corner to corner and placed in a holding bin until a front counter employee picks it up to serve it.

An Egg McMuffin is probably the healthiest breakfast menu sandwich.



Nutrition Facts:

McMuffin:
Calories: 170
Total Fat (g): 4.5
Saturated fat (g): 1
Trans fat (g): 0
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 290
Carbohydrates (g): 27
Dietary Fiber (g): 2
Protein (g): 5

Egg McMuffin:
Calories: 300
Total Fat (g): 12
Saturated fat (g): 4.5
Trans fat (g): 0
Cholesterol (mg): 230
Sodium (mg): 860
Carbohydrates (g): 30
Dietary Fiber (g): 2
Protein (g): 17

Sausage McMuffin (without egg):
Calories: 380
Total Fat (g): 22
Saturated fat (g): 8
Trans fat (g): .5
Cholesterol (mg): 45
Sodium (mg): 800
Carbohydrates (g): 31
Dietary Fiber (g): 2
Protein (g): 14

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.