The maple leaf is the definitive symbol of Canada.

The Maple Leaf is also the name of the Department of National Defence (DND) monthly news publication.

The Maple Leaf route is operated daily by Amtrak between New York City and Toronto. In addition to all-reserved coach class, business class is also available, and trains have a café car which serves sandwiches and snacks. Each train is also equipped with a bicycle rack, and a ski rack in the baggage car. Because the route involves a border crossing, immigration and customs officers are required to board the train to inspect for contraband and those travelling illegally. After leaving New York's Penn Station, the route continues to Yonkers, Croton-Harmon, Poughkeepsie, Rhinecliff-Kingston, Albany-Rensselaer, Schenectady, Amsterdam, Utica, Rome, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo (two stops), and Niagara Falls (on the American side). After entering Ontario, trains stop again on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, then continue to St. Catherines, Grimsby, Aldershot, and Oakville before finally reaching Toronto. Scenery along the way includes the Hudson River Valley, the Finger Lakes region, Niagara Falls, and Lake Ontario. Depending on departure and arrival cities, a trip on the Maple Leaf may take as little as two hours or as long as twelve hours for the full route. Amtrak Vacations packages are available to New York City and Niagara Falls, and Hertz rents cars in Albany, Buffalo, New York City, and Rochester. Connections to VIA Rail Canada services are also available to passengers holding the North America Rail Pass.

Sources: Amtrak's 2001 Travel Planner and http://www.amtrak.com/trains/mapleleaf.html

I did not see the maple leaf
Beneath my hand, I felt the heat
The tree had risen to its feet
And then I touched the maple leaf

The tree grew tall below my hand
The dewdrops fell at your command
It could not drink the rain's relief
But was not dry, the maple leaf

I dreamed of leaves on fingertips
A bud that grew between my lips
My eyes were opened in my sleep
I saw unfold the maple leaf

Beneath the tree, no shadows deep
Dawn will come to kiss its feet
As I rise up from my sleep
May I kiss the maple leaf?
And would the tree be made a thief
If it should touch the maple leaf?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.