Term used in Nicolas Bourbaki's Élements de Mathématique to describe a set taken along with a binary operation on that set. Closure with respect to the operation is, of course, assumed. Semigroups, monoids, groups, etc. are all special cases of magmas. Nowadays, most people use the term `groupoid'. That term, however, can also refer to so-called `virtual groups', which have much more structure than magmas.

In non-mathematical French, magma means (in addition to molten rock) `jumble' or `random conglomeration'.

More on Magma, the band and it's vision.

Imagine a world, many centuries into the future, when society as we know it has decayed into chaos and degradation, void of spiritual guidance. The colonization of space is well underway, and space travel has become commonplace. It is in this setting that a handful of enlightened Earth people seeking a better existence finance the construction of a private spacecraft and leave the planet in search of a new world where a new, more spiritually guided civilization can be reborn. They finally find that new home after a long and hazardous journey on the distant planet Kobaia, where the party settles and begins anew.

Magma is a concept band whose albums explain the origins and development of the new civilization on Kobaia , and their interactions with the people of Earth and other planets. All of their lyrics are sung in the language of the new civilization, 'Kobaian'. As one might expect, the music from Kobaia several hundred years from now is very unlike what we are accustomed to on twentieth century planet Earth. Magma's music is very strange, beautiful, and ultimately rewarding.

A brief history

Led by drummer Christian Vander, Magma began in the final months of the sixties in France, pretty much apart from the underground music scene of the times. In fact most of the original members had worked in other rock and jazz groups before, although without much notoriety. The band has since gone through an almost constant stream of personnel changes, but the alumni list looks like a who's-who of top caliber French musicians: Klaus Blasquiz, Guy Khalifa, Claude Engel, Jannick Top, Bernard Paganotti, Patrick Gauthier, Francis Moze, Rene Garber, Jean-Luc Manderlier, Benoit Widemann, Didier Lockwood, Teddy Lasry, Yochk'o Seffer, Michel Herve, Florence Berteaux, Daniel Denis, Clement Bailly...and the list goes on. All the while, the one constant is Vander and his vision - although the contributions of the other musicians to the execution of this vision cannot be downplayed. The creation of the development of the original concept and the Kobaian language was in fact a group effort. Some players were more influential than others, but with each change in personnel came a slight change in the sound of the band.

Note I: Partly based on a text by Peter Thelen.
Note II: I will add Magma's discography as soon as I have it all complete)
Magma is a liquid solution or melt that generally contains suspended crystals and dissolved volatiles.

Melts are comprised of silicates, carbonates or sulphides: silicate melts are the most common type of magma. The presence of silica is also directly proportional to the viscosity of the magma: the more silica, the more viscous the magma becomes.

Magma is created by a partial melting of the Earth's crust or mantle and is the raw material for all igneous processes. It may rise to the surface through volcanic fissures and be extruded as lava; if it solidifies underground it forms intrusive igneous rock.

Magma is also very, very, very, very hot.

Mag"ma (?), n. [L., fr. Gr. , fr. to squeeze, knead.]

1.

Any crude mixture of mineral or organic matters in the state of a thin paste.

Ure.

2. Med. (a)

A thick residuum obtained from certain substances after the fluid parts are expressed from them; the grounds which remain after treating a substance with any menstruum, as water or alcohol.

(b)

A salve or confection of thick consistency.

Dunglison.

3. Geol. (a)

The molten matter within the earth, the source of the material of lava flows, dikes of eruptive rocks, etc.

(b)

The glassy base of an eruptive rock.

4. Chem.

The amorphous or homogenous matrix or ground mass, as distinguished from well-defined crystals; as, the magma of porphyry.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.