losing = L = lossage

loss n.

Something (not a person) that loses; a situation in which something is losing. Emphatic forms include `moby loss', and `total loss', `complete loss'. Common interjections are "What a loss!" and "What a moby loss!" Note that `moby loss' is OK even though **`moby loser' is not used; applied to an abstract noun, moby is simply a magnifier, whereas when applied to a person it implies substance and has positive connotations. Compare lossage.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

For though our hearts are bleeding red,
Still yet the dying are not dead:

For though our haunts are lonesome now,
Still yet they walk beside us;
For though our lives grow weary now,
Still yet they live beside us –

For those we love are never dead
Save when our hearts are bleeding red.

Loss (?), n. [AS. los loss, losing, fr. leosan to lose. . See Lose, v. t.]

1.

The act of losing; failure; destruction; privation; as, the loss of property; loss of money by gaming; loss of health or reputation.

Assured loss before the match be played. Shak.

2.

The state of losing or having lost; the privation, defect, misfortune, harm, etc., which ensues from losing.

Though thou repent, yet I have still the loss. Shak

3.

That which is lost or from which one has parted; waste; -- opposed to gain or increase; as, the loss of liquor by leakage was considerable.

4.

The state of being lost or destroyed; especially, the wreck or foundering of a ship or other vessel.

5.

Failure to gain or win; as, loss of a race or battle.

6.

Failure to use advantageously; as, loss of time.

7. Mil.

Killed, wounded, and captured persons, or captured property.

8. Insurance

Destruction or diminution of value, if brought about in a manner provided for in the insurance contract (as destruction by fire or wreck, damage by water or smoke), or the death or injury of an insured person; also, the sum paid or payable therefor; as, the losses of the company this year amount to a million of dollars.

To bear a loss, to make a loss good; also, to sustain a loss without sinking under it. -- To be at a loss, to be in a state of uncertainty.

Syn. -- Privation; detriment; injury; damage.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.