Librium (Chlordiazepoxide) is a drug from the Benzodiazepine family used in the treatment of anxiety, aggression and mild depression in people of all ages.

It comes in the form of a pill or a capsule, usually in doses of 5 mg to 10 mg taken 1 to 4 times daily.

Librium can make one drowsy, especially the first time it's taken, it tends to knock you out if you are in anyway slightly tired.

Librium has been defamed for its many supposed side effects. These include:
Drowsiness
Muscle Incoordination
Fatigue
Weakness
Dizziness
Confusion
Faintness

More serious problems can occur such as Talkativeness (The Verbals!)
Restlessness
Excitement
Trembling
Muscle spasms
Sleeping problems
Nightmares

The drug should also not be mixed with alcohol.


On a personal note, I myself was prescribed Librium as I was suffering from anxiety recently. I was prescribed a dose of 5 mg three times daily.

The drug did help me get my mind off stupid things that were worrying me, and because of this I could concentrate better on my work and life.

I am now more or less off the drug (my prescription was running out anyway), and feel that I don't need to take it anymore as I am over the stress and getting better. Although, getting up in the mornings is the worst, as I would always be in a bad mood anyway, and I would be slightly tempted to reach for the Librium, but that passes after 15 minutes or so and then I'm fine.

Against recommendations, I did drink booze a few times and smoke a few joints while on the Librium, and it had no adverse effects on me, although I do NOT condone or advise doing so.

I have suffered none of the above side effects either.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.