This is a recipe I developed from a more general fruit chutney to use up the embarrassment of lemons the tree in our garden produces – I hate waste, but the tree fruits all year, copiously, and there's a limit to how much lemon curd a diabetic is allowed to eat, even if there's none to how much she WOULD eat, were she allowed.

Lemon chutney is an excellent alternative to mango chutney or lime pickle with curry, and was a welcome addition to Christmas hamper gifts last year. Keeps well, and smells yummy.

Ingredients

Method

  1. Cut lemon into 1/4 inch slices.
  2. Put lemon slices in a saucepan with water to cover and bring to the boil.
  3. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 90 minutes - 2 hours. Add water if too much evaporates. At the end of the process there be about 1 cup of liquid.
  4. After measuring the liquid, pour it back into the saucepan with all the other ingredients except the sugar.
  5. Return to the boil and when boiling, pour in sugar.
  6. Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, then lower heat and cook until thickened and leaves a trace on a wooden spoon, but has not gelled.
  7. Store in sterilized jars

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.