The nine finger "cuts" that give the Ninja their power. Although believed to be a Ninja secret the Kuji-In was also used by some Buddhist priests of the time. Where it came from no one is sure but it does have similarities to Hindu and Tibetan Mudras. The Kuji-In is more a way of concentrating the mind than weaving magic with one's hands despite many Sensei and Movie companies' attempts to depict otherwise. Related to kuji-kiri.

An energy-channeling system of Buddhist origin. It involves linking emotional states to 9 finger positions (mudra) and their corresponding phrases (mantra). Far more mediation-oriented, as opposed to throwing fireballs (thanks American Ninja!)

( The following information can be found with more details at http://www.kujiin.com )

The Nine Hand Seals Technique and its related teachings have their origins in the Hindu religion where they were initially used by a few groups from the lower castes. These mystical techniques were a means used by the monks to bring the virtues of the spirit into mundane experience. The original form was not as developed as the system we have today. Thus, this historical perspective refers to the origins of the current system, not the modern Nine Hand Seals Technique as it exists today. Buddhism came out of Hinduism, and, with it, the Nine Hand Seals Technique became ever more popular. The original mudras remain the same as those taught in ancient times, but Buddhist mantras were also added to the system to enhance it. The original mantras were in Sanskrit. They are invocations and celebrations of the various Buddhas. The Buddhist movement later traveled to China, where the tradition was passed on to the hermetic and esoteric groups extant there. Boa Pu Zhi, a wise Chinese master, was the first to put the nine hand mudras on paper, in his work published around the 3rd century AC. Eventually, the techniques migrated to Japan, along with esoteric Buddhism, where the mantras were translated into Japanese phonetics.

The modern Kuji-In technique is composed of a ritual process comprising the traditional application of the Buddhist “three secrets” (mudra, mantra, and mandala). The true Kuji-In secret lies within the contemplation of that philosophy which we use to change our attitude about life. The goal of Kuji-In practice is not to acquire strength, control, healing powers, telepathy, etc... These are only side effects of practicing the rituals and focusing a bit on the governing philosophy. Most people learn the technique simply to attain one or more of these powerful side effects. By aiming at such a mundane goal, their limited focus will ultimately result in the attainment of 1/10th of what they could have achieved by practicing Kuji-In to the fullest. The real path of Kuji-In is the quest to know the truth about ourselves. It is a contemplation of higher principles, an application of noble behavior to our daily lives, and it requires the mental ability to perceive knowledge that is not studied, but revealed. Once a revelation occurs, the side effects mentioned earlier will develop rapidly and without effort.

A Kuji-In teacher transmits these techniques according to his own experience of its revelations. Since the technique was transmitted orally to many different groups, by many different masters, the organization of the root knowledge remains the same, but the ritual aspect has changed somewhat over time. Thus, there is no dramatic change in the system, because the true knowledge of Kuji-In is acquired through revelation, and the various ritual techniques inevitably stimulate the mind towards the same goal, which is the revelation of truth. As long as the ritual practice is applied, the side effects eventually manifest. The general public sees the manifestation of these side effects as the most obvious sign of the attainment of mastery and generally (and mistakenly) believes that they are the intent of these practices.

Some Kuji-In practitioners are adepts of meditation, and, according to them, the Kuji-In technique is a way to deepen meditation. Other Masters are Adepts of the martial arts, and, for them, the Kuji-In techniques build the profound inner powers of the warrior. Sorcerers will say that it develops the ability to manifest magical phenomena. Peasants and farmers might say it is the technique used to attract good fortune and stimulate good crops! Those who speculate on such matters suggest that there might be around 4000 different schools practicing these techniques around the world, each transmitting the technique with their own unique variations. Some Buddhists use a Qi Gong dance along with the 9 syllables, while others sit still in meditation and use a longer version of the Nine Mantra prayers. The application of the principles doesn’t matter. As long as the Kuji-In philosophy is the proper foundation of the ritual technique, the desired results will be attained.

Kuji-in is a set of 9 exercises that bring physical and mental benefits. It uses a set of mantra (words), mudras (gestures), and mandalas (symbols or visualisation).

Resumed, exercise #1 develops self-confidence, to a point where you believe there is nothing that can stop you from attaining your goal. Some call it the "faith" kuji. A side-effect of this kuji-in step is much more willpower in the mind, and ever more physical strength (because your mind can push more energy to the muscles.)

#2 develops a sens of responsibility, helping you take control of your life. A side effect, things start to happen your way.

#3 Harmony. Everything becomes cool, no problem, we'll resolve it, let's get to work.

#4 Healing. It's not a practice to get an immediate effect in healing. It's an exercise that builds up your healing-potential, so that if you ever have to heal anything, it will help. A side effect, yet not scientificaly proven, is that it also help others around you to heal faster. Most people learn kuji-in for these first 4 steps, cause it's a nice goal to attain, and the other 5 steps are more and more abstract.

#5 Self-love. Its realy great on the heart chakra. It takes all this harmony, and self-responsible feeling that you setup in the steps before, and applies it to you, and you develop self love, even compassion. Some say a side effect is a greater intuition. (I believe so, it worked for me).

#6 Self-knowledge. Its more and more abstract, as the kuji-in exercises make it easier to understand what you think, feel, percieve,... A side effect is the enhancement of understanding the subtle things...

#7 Dimensions/perception. Shifts your perception of everything, for the better.

#8 Manifestation. Its not like if you could make stuff appear, but things realy organise in ways that you like, in manners that you could not belive possible before (but then again, since exericise #1, you kinda feel everyting is possible).

#9 No-mind, blank, no-word, like touching the void, a mental shut-down and restart. Side effects: unknown, but there are probably.

Kuji-in was discovers in the esoteric hindu begginings. From hinduism came buddhism, and chi-gong was organised to favorize teaching, by giving names to sets of exercises and techniques. A wise chinese master, Bao Pu Zhi, was the first to put on paper the drawings of the 9 hand positions (mudras). Then the technique migrated to japan with buddhism, and the esoteric Japanese Buddhists (call Mikkyo) made it a more formal and used technique.

The medical groups used it to make everything better, and the martial artists used it to become more powerful warriors, while famers used the technique to better the crops, but there is a common thing between all the applications of Kuji-in, it is that it makes the person much more stronger against illness, controversy, doubt... it simply makes you stronger.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.