The kernel source tree does not cover the entire operating system; it only covers the kernel as a standalone unit. The tree part of it comes from the fact that few operating systems, even those that use microkernels, have a kernel whose source code could be considered organized if it was all in one directory. In fact, kernel source trees tend to be very large, especially for a portable kernel such as the NetBSD or the linux one. This is because the kernel needs to handle any eventuality in its low-level sphere of influence.

Normally, to modify one's kernel requires recompilation, which is why a kernel source tree is useful. Under Linux, that would be accomplished by a command to change the kernel configuration, such as make config or make menuconfig or make xconfig. One would then execute the command line make clean && make dep && make install && make modules && make modules_install -- provided one was using Linux. Most CDs containing an open source operating system will have the kernel source tree installable, but if for some reason you need to open up a gzipped tar file, try tar xvzf filename. Note that this will construct the directory structure starting from your current directory.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.