A term much beloved of flamers, trolls, self-righteous pseudo-radicals, and anonymous cowards. The fact of the matter is that Slashdot posts are generally moderated up due to their quality. There are moderators of all manner of political, religious, and operating system views, and prejudice balances out while appreciation of quality is more nearly universal.

This morning, I saw a man in a white dress shirt, dress slacks and a tie walking with one of those day planners out of the block of apartments I live in. I had seen him before, but thought he was talking out trash to the dumpster. This time, I realized he was walking to the bus stop.

Most of the nearby apartments have bus stops close at hand -- but the street becomes a cul-de-sac, and so it's a good half-mile to the nearest stop. My eyes flit to the clock in my station wagon and see that since I left later than I wanted to that I have time. It's a humid morning, and not ideal for the clothing he's wearing.

There's a noise when you roll down a power window. I thought it was distinctive, but he didn't notice when I pulled alongside him and rolled it down. Dressed like that, he's probably already lost in his inner dialogue. I call out, "Walking to the bus stop?"

He looks over at me and grasps the real question surprisingly quickly. "Sure!" I quickly toss the maps off the front passenger seat, and he climbs in. He tells me he's catching the bus because he works downtown, and the parking situation down there isn't ideal. "Where do you work?" he asks.

"Science Park Road. The name's Art, by the way."

"Dave. Thanks for doing this." He offers his right hand to shake, but I am busy making sure that I give a jogger a wide berth. It doesn't help that they're jogging halfway into my lane as it is.

"Sorry about that. The ride's no problem. I'd be taking the bus too if I worked downtown - wait, I wouldn't be, I'd be riding in with my wife because she's a graduate student. They get parking spaces."

"Oh, what's she do?"

"Biochemistry." I could go into more detail, but it isn't worthwhile, especially since we're pulling up to where I think he wants to get out. "The stop sign good?"

"Yeah, I get on right here." We finally manage to perform the handshaking ritual and he gets out.

I drive on, and part of my mind tells me that I've just done a good deed, that I've earned brownie points. I've done other good things too. Perhaps I've done lots of Right Things.

Suddenly, it was obvious. I'm a karma whore.

Karma whoring is when you post on Slashdot for the purpose of gaining karma, rather than for the purpose of making your opinions heard. This can be necessary if you have a bad karma, or if you want to post with a +1 bonus. It is not truly bad; in order to get moderated up your post must have more quality than, say, the average post accusing someone of karma whoring.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.