Comic book character created by John Albano and Tony DeZuniga for DC Comics. He first appeared in a comic book called "Weird Western Tales," but soon received his own title, which lasted from 1977 to 1985.

Jonah was a gunslinger and bounty hunter in the Wild West. I don't think you could call him a hero, but he had a sense of honor that got him supporting most of the right causes. Of course, most of those causes required that a lot of killin' get done...

Hex's most prominent feature was the horrific scar that ran from his eye to his chin -- supposedly, he got it from a heated tomahawk, and it somehow left a strip of flesh that stretched across his mouth. Musta made it tough to eat...

In the aftermath of the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Jonah got stranded in an apocalyptic future, where he rode a motorcycle across a nuclear wasteland. When that series finally got cancelled, we didn't hear much from Hex for a while, but in the 1990s, he appeared in a couple of supernatural-themed miniseries written by Joe R. Lansdale and illustrated by Tim Truman.

The series was again revived in 2006, written by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti and illustrated by a number of different artists. He teamed up with psychologist Amadeus Arkham to solve crimes, fell in love with scarred bounty hunter Tallulah Black, and even went time traveling to the modern world. At some point, he learned that he'd been killed, and his corpse preserved and displayed at Wild West shows. (This was a plot point arrived at decades ago, and it was never particularly popular with readers or creators.) After an accident in the modern world that left him comatose for months, doctors actually repaired his face, and when he returned to the Old West, he discovered an imposter committing crimes in his name. After Jonah gunned down the imposter, the copy ended up getting sold to the Wild West shows, while Jonah rode off into the sunset with Tallulah.

Not a bad ending for comicdom's best Wild West character. 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.