Tune by British dance producer and artist CJ Bolland.

Bolland was clearly insane. The magical Summer of '99 was on its way and trance was sweeping all in its path. Remember it? It was when ATB's 9pm (Till I Come) was still cool. Hazy recollection yet? In any case, everything that was funky and fresh was locked into a 4/4 beat and coming out of Northern Europe.

So what does Bolland do? Release a big beat tune, of course. A full year after Norman Cook blew the dance music world apart with his crossover big beat sound, a man whose biggest hit was anything but breaks and beats (the excellent Sugar Is Sweeter, one of the anthems of '96), releases a stomping cutup floor-filler.

Still, if you could fault his thought process, you couldn't fault the tune. The zenith of the soundtrack to Human Traffic, It Ain't Gonna Be Me was the Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels of the dance music scene, and it rocked beyond words. Of course, this was in no small part due to the insanely-cool Samuel L. Jackson sample from Jackie Brown used as the hook for the entire tune. Even better given that the film company had refused permission for Bolland to use the sample, until Samuel L. Jackson himself heard the tune and offered to come and record the line himself. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.