Ipecac is a plant extract which, when swallowed, stimulates the central nervous system and the stomach, which induces emesis in about twenty minutes.

The usual dose of ipecac syrup is 15 ml (1 tablespoon) for children and 30 ml (2 tablespoonsful) for an adult. Follow with four ounces of water for children and 8 to 12 for adults. Repeat one more time in half an hour if emesis has not occurred.

Do not take ipecac with milk, milk products, or carbonated beverages. These may interfere with the medication and cause it to be less effective. Drink water.

The use of syrup of Ipecac is not recommended for certain types of poisonings: ingestion of strychnine, strong acids or any bases, and petroleum products, such as gasoline, coal oil, kerosene, fuel oil, paint thinner, or cleaning fluid. Very serious side effects could result.

Some side effects:

  • tiredness
  • weakness
  • aching muscles
  • stiff muscles
  • difficulty breathing
  • diarrhea
  • abdominal pain or cramps
  • vomiting or nausea lasting longer than 30 minutes
  • fast or irregular heartbeat

Ipecac is available in any drugstore, and is amazingly cheap in comparison to most medicines.

Do not use for this stuff for weight control. Extended use of Ipecac can cause severe damage to muscular and circulatory systems. Trust me, it isn't pretty.

It is not only dangerous after extended use. If taken in a large dose, ipecac can kill you the very first time you use it. It is a poison which induces vomiting. Before you take it, you are supposed to call your Poison Control Center and use only when the Poison Center or your doctor directs you to use it. Some poisons should NOT be removed by vomiting. It is designed to be used only in life/death situations, since it itself can kill.

Karen Carpenter died due to of complications from anorexia nervosa, specifically "cardio toxicity" brought on by the chemical emetine. Experts now agree that the only way she could have had emetine in her system was if she had misused ipecac.

source:http://www.leadsister.com/articles/kcarticles.html

Ipecac is the name of a record label set up by Greg Werckman (formerly of Alternative Tentacles) and, alternative metal, legend Mike Patton in 1999. The label focus on releasing an eclectic mix of records. Their mission statement is to be an honest, artist friendly record label run on a shoe string budget and with no huge production or promotion costs.

Because of the freedom of this label bands are able to release albums that are more 'quirky' and which they are unable to release on other record labels.

Mike Patton himself has released a few of his quirky numbers on Ipecac. His experimental metal outfit Fantômas fits very well on this label. As do his other side projects, Maldoror and Tomahawk. The former is a colaboration between Mike Patton and Merzbow and is an extremely experimental delve into music and noize-core, while the latter is a more structured outing in the vein of Patton's former band Faith No More, albeit a little more eclectic.

The Melvins have a huge catalogue on Ipecac recordings including the Melvins/Fantômas joint, live album.

Other artists include:

  • Dälek :-A kind of Hip-Hop outfit.
  • Isis :-Probably the most well known band on the label.
  • Kaada :-Pop, breakbeat type affair.
  • Moistboyz :-Rock n' Roll.
  • Phantomsmasher :-Experimental.
  • Pink Anvil :-Includes members of Ministry.
  • Ruins :- "monster-progressive-hard core-avant-rock band of wonder" as it says on the website.
  • Sensational :- hip-hop
  • Skeleton Key :- Rock with a pop 'tic'
  • Steroid Maximus :-Messed up.
  • The Kids of Widney High
  • The Lucky Stars :-raucous good time dance music
  • The Young Gods :-new-wave-industrial type
  • It appears that the raison d'etre of this label is summed up in this one sentence of the website;-

    "Like the medicine it's named after, Ipecac Recordings is here to purge you of the drek that's been rotting in your tummies"

    If your sick with some of the crap music out there at the moment, don't whinge about it, go and check out Ipecac

    Ip"e*cac (?), n.

    An abbreviation of Ipecacuanha, and in more frequent use.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.