To convert into ions. An ion is typically an atom that has been stripped of all its electrons, giving it a positive charge. (This is the most common sort, but technically, any atom which has more or less electrons than protons will have a charge and become an ion.) Ions are typically created through the application of extreme heat to an element, and consequently all ionized materials are gases. All matter within a star is ionized.

Also what happens to you if you accept a trick telephone call from the Black Lectroid Wing Commander. For more information, see the most excellent film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension.

RAWHIDE: "Buckaroo, where in Hades are you?  I'm getting a lot of static."

BUCKAROO: "Yeah...that's me...I've been ionized, but...I'm all right now..."

Apparently ionized people get to see Lectroids as they really are. Now, to our eyes, they're not very pretty. Nothing personal, John Parker.

I"on*ize (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Ionized (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Ionizing (?).] (Elec. Chem.)

To separate (a compound) into ions, esp. by dissolving in water. -- I`on*i*za"tion (#), n.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.