A Civilization advance.
The contrivance of a previously unknown device, method, or process is known as invention. The advance of technical knowledge is driven by the discovery of new inventions. One measure of a society's progress is the degree to which it encourages and adopts new inventions.
Prerequisites: Engineering and Literacy.
Allows for: Gunpowder and Steam Engine.

In*ven"tion (?), n. [L. inventio: cf. F. invention. See Invent.]

1.

The act of finding out or inventing; contrivance or construction of that which has not before existed; as, the invention of logarithms; the invention of the art of printing.

As the search of it [truth] is the duty, so the invention will be the happiness of man. Tatham.

2.

That which is invented; an original contrivance or construction; a device; as, this fable was the invention of Esop; that falsehood was her own invention.

We entered by the drawbridge, which has an invention to let one fall if not premonished. Evelyn.

3.

Thought; idea.

Shak.

4.

A fabrication to deceive; a fiction; a forgery; a falsehood.

Filling their hearers With strange invention. Shak.

5.

The faculty of inventing; imaginative faculty; skill or ingenuity in contriving anything new; as, a man of invention.

They lay no less than a want of invention to his charge; a capital crime, . . . for a poet is a maker. Dryden.

6. Fine Arts, Rhet., etc.

The exercise of the imagination in selecting and treating a theme, or more commonly in contriving the arrangement of a piece, or the method of presenting its parts.

Invention of the cross Eccl., a festival celebrated May 3d, in honor of the finding of our Savior's cross by St. Helena.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.