Information warfare are the actions taken to achieve information superiority by affecting information systems while defending ones own information. There are basically 3 types of information warfare: personal, corporate, and global. Information warfare is battle no longer done on a physical plane, but a virtual one. Being big does not give you more power, only more vulnerabilities. At the head of military information intelligence there is a so called C3I. C3I stands for Command, Control, Communications, and Intelligence.

IW weapons are now digital and harnessed by the power of computers. A computer virus is a code fragment that copies itself into a larger program and executes when it’s host program runs. The virus then replicates by copying itself to other programs and infecting those. Nobody should be in awe that this type of program is used in IW because viruses are very common in any computer based environment.
A worm however is an independent program which spreads by forever copying itself from one computer to another usually over a network. Worms do not need a host program to survive and they usually don’t modify other programs. Worms are usually a problem because they eat up resources on a network causing loss of data and computer crashes. A payload can be added to a worm to create a worse danger which has great destructive potential.
A trojan horse is a program that disguises itself as a legitimate program which in fact covertly executes malicious functions unknown to the user. Trojan horses can be hidden in any program and are often hard to detect if obvious wrong doings are not seen by the user.
A logic bomb is a program or piece of code that when given a certain command or not given a specific command will unleash a virus.
Other weapons of IW include nano machines, microbes, electronic jamming, high energy radio frequency guns, and electromagnetic pulse bombs.

Personal information warfare is when an individual’s electronic privacy is attacked. The attack is performed when a person’s confidential digital records and database entries are revealed and exploited. The average person has little control over the information stored on him or her. No longer is it necessary to set up surveillance with miniature cameras and microphones to blackmail someone. All an information warrior needs is a phone line, a computer, and access to certain existing databases. The information that can be extracted from these existing databases are credit card bills, bank account information, financial transactions, video rentals, medical history, prescriptions, criminal offenses, arrests, court records, etc. One of the biggest threats in personal information warfare is identity theft.

Corporate information warfare is better known as stiff competition as well as espionage. It is not hard to imagine a company investing $1,000,000 in a system which could break into a competitor’s system which is worth $15,000,000. Then use that system to accidentally unleash a virus which would destroy a competitor’s files on a new product which would set them back and put the aggressor ahead. This type of warfare is also used to spread rumors to shut down the competition with the help of the general population. The general population is easily influenced by what they read in the newspaper, and every corporation wants them on it’s side.

Global information warfare is fought often by the military. The war is between opposing states or countries. This is what the CIA does best. Mostly it is the gathering of information about foreign powers. If a third world country spent a tenth of it’s income on informational weapons, they could damage the US in an unimaginable way. Damage such as shutting down the banking system and wall street would take years to recover from and would make the great depression look harmless. Information warfare opens up new horizons of cost effectiveness for terrorists, enemy governments, or the kid at school that everyone picks on. On any level a 35 cent phone call has the potential to alter the world.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.