Inertia is not restricted to an inanimate condition, consider social inertial systems.

Without suitable mass in each of a society's separate parts to resist overall momentum, the minority becomes fodder for majority trampling. footprints. foot molds/impressions/carcass.

Minorities can however gain significant inertia of their own and reverse the course of the majority.

Sometimes such a reversal will result in massive disruption and subsequent paradigm shifts so that the minority is joined by enough to become the majority.

Other times the minority is charged with the job of continuing to maintain group momentum alone, against the resistance of the majority.

And sometimes, the minority's mass equally matches that of the majority and momentum grinds to zero - stagnation.

These conditions hold true for: business, literature, communities, international relations, science and invention,...

inertia: in erotic/sexual usage inertia is apathy or lack of responsiveness or arousal at the proceptive phase. It typically involves also the acceptive phase. It is experienced subjectively as lack of desire or drive. Antonym, ultraertia.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Inertia is the tendency of objects that are in motion, to stay in motion. This also applies to objects at rest. The amount of inertia is in proportion with the amount of mass in an object. An elephant is extremely harder to get moving than a mouse. Also, if both an elephant, and a mouse were charging at you, the elephant would definitely be harder to stop. This concept is known as Newton's first law of motion. Objects in motion will stay in motion at the same velocity unless acted on by an outside force. Again, objects will stay at rest, unless an outside force(Being a push or a pull) acts on it.

Not stagnant. Almost moving.

My velocity is down lately so all my stories end the same weary. Go the long way home and you’ll be late. I tried hard to move on, then I realized that I kept moving on even when I tried to stop. The steps carried me onward and nobody cared. I’m just like everybody else.

Most of the time life seems to me like standing in line, or waiting for something to happen. I knew a friend of my uncle who always used to say he watched the grass grow. He used to drink can after can of Old Style and sit in a fold out aluminum lawn chair. His name was Danny. Danny would point to things and tell me nothing about them.

”There’s the Tom Turkey.” He’d say, pointing to a decrepit gobbler that roamed the hobby farm.

”See that mini goat?” He’d point, ”That mini goat done born five kids this last spring.”

”Get me a beer Bobby” He’d demand.

I can’t knock ol’ Danny because he let me drive his Chevrolet Pickup through cornfields when I was eleven. We went pheasant hunting.

”Don’ shoot the plain ones. He said, handing me a twelve gauge.

I had never shot a gun before and the only act of killin’ I’d been involved with was clubbing an opossum to death. We chased the opossum from under my neighbor’s porch when we were kids. We’d cornered it and didn’t know what to do, so my pal Chris smacked it right in the head with the aluminum bat he was carrying. I felt awful.

I somehow shot a pheasant when I was with Danny. His old Lab, Belle jumped through the cornfield and brought the cock back to me. Danny was so proud. His wife boiled and feathered it and they made me eat my prey. I broke a molar on the shot and everybody had a good laugh.

When Belle brought the fowl to me, she let it ease into my hands. I looked at the feathers and the trickle of blood that dripped from the shot and let my fingers push the feathers away to see the sound of the wound. I ate the roasted bird heartily.

The next morning, my shoulder ached from the recoil. A yellow bruise born reminded me of what I had done. The house on the hobby farm my uncle and his cronies used as an escape was silent except for the whiskey snores. I snuck down the stairs wandering through the broken screen door into the dewy light of dawn.

I stepped outside with some feed for the penned turkeys and chickens. The old rooster let out a call from under his basket. I could hear eggs dropping form the chickens in the guano hen house. The morning shook me. I tossed the grain into the pens and the birds cackled about. I stared into the fields and thought about the bird I had killed.

In*er"ti*a (?), n. [L., idleness, fr. iners idle. See Inert.]

1. Physics

That property of matter by which it tends when at rest to remain so, and when in motion to continue in motion, and in the same straight line or direction, unless acted on by some external force; -- sometimes called vis inertiae.

2.

Inertness; indisposition to motion, exertion, or action; want of energy; sluggishness.

Men . . . have immense irresolution and inertia. Carlyle.

3. Med.

Want of activity; sluggishness; -- said especially of the uterus, when, in labor, its contractions have nearly or wholly ceased.

Center of inertia. Mech. See under Center.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.