In*cline" (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Inclined (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Inclining.] [OE. inclinen, enclinen, OF. encliner, incliner, F. incliner, L. inclinare; pref. in- in + clinare to bend, incline; akin to E. lean. See Lean to incline.]

1.

To deviate from a line, direction, or course, toward an object; to lean; to tend; as, converging lines incline toward each other; a road inclines to the north or south.

2.

Fig.: To lean or tend, in an intellectual or moral sense; to favor an opinion, a course of conduct, or a person; to have a propensity or inclination; to be disposed.

Their hearts inclined to follow Abimelech. Judges ix. 3.

Power finds its balance, giddy motions cease In both the scales, and each inclines to peace. Parnell.

3.

To bow; to incline the head.

Chaucer.

Syn. -- To lean; slope; slant; tend; bend.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*cline", v. t.

1.

To cause to deviate from a line, position, or direction; to give a leaning, bend, or slope to; as, incline the column or post to the east; incline your head to the right.

Incline thine ear, O Lord, and hear. Is. xxxvii. 17.

2.

To impart a tendency or propensity to, as to the will or affections; to turn; to dispose; to influence.

Incline my heart unto thy testimonies. Ps. cxix. 36.

Incline our hearts to keep this law. Book of Com. Prayer.

3.

To bend; to cause to stoop or bow; as, to incline the head or the body in acts of reverence or civility.

With due respect my body I inclined. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


In*cline", n.

An inclined plane; an ascent o descent; a grade or gradient; a slope.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.