The Weekend Has Landed.

Human Traffic, released in 1999, is a story as much about the Cardiff club scene as it is about the relationships between the five friends who are the main characters. The film follows the lives of five clubbers: Jip, Lulu, Koop, Moff, and Nina over the course of a weekend, which involves a bunch of bars, a house party, and a whole bunch of drugs, mostly Ecstasy.

Each of the five main characters has some minor neurosis they can call their own. Jip's having a bit of an issue with confidence, which in turn is hurting his ability to, umm, shift into drive. Lulu just got dumped, so she's fighting an I HATE MEN complex; Koop (who idly dreams about being a DJ) takes the idea of monogamy to a bit of an extreme, and has the problem of really bugging his girlfriend, Nina, who hates her job at the fast food place where she works.

This movie would be nothing without its slightly whacked out sense of humor. Sideshows and sequences internal to the characters are common in this movie, most notably "Spliff Politics," a goofy documentary (with a host!) which explains the unspoken politics that go on while a joint is burning. Kerrigan does a lot of weird and different things, which is what makes the movie unique and excellent.

The moral of the story here is rent this movie. Get it, watch it, and even if you aren't into the club scene, you'll probably enjoy it.

Cast

Directed by - Justin Kerrigan
Jip - John Simm
Lulu - Lorraine Pilkington
Koop - Shaun Parkes
Moff - Danny Dyer
Nina - Nicola Reynolds
Lee - Dean Davies
Karen - Jan Anderson
Reality - Jo Brand
Pablo Hassam - Carl Cox
Inca - Roger Evans
Felix - Andrew Lincoln
Available at http://www.video.go.com

Information also drawn from The Internet Movie Database (http://www.imdb.com).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.