A feature of more advanced screensavers, such as those found in Idlewild and After Dark, to behave a certain way when the mouse pointer is in one corner of the screen. When the mouse is placed in a "hot corner," it usually signifies the users intent to activate the screen saver immediately. Users may also designate corners (cold corners? I don't know) that suppress the screen saver when the mouse pointer is placed there. This is useful for when you're waiting for a large project to compile or execute but don't want the screen saver there to muck it up.

In baseball, an affectionate name for third base, due to the speed and a high number of balls hit to that area of the field.

Most batters are right-handed and right-handed batters tend to hit balls to the left side of the infield, toward third base. Moreover, because the third baseman has a longer throw to first base, and sometimes has to cover his own base, he is usually several steps closer to the batter than the shortstop or second baseman. All of this means that the third baseman must field more balls of greater velocity with less reaction time than any other fielder on the diamond.

Not surprisingly, a third baseman needs lightning reflexes, good hands, and occasionally, a stout sternum, if he wishes to survive in the "hot corner."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.