Lety u Pisku in South Bohemia, the Czech Republic is the location of the Second World War concentration camp known as Lety. Along with the camp at Hodonín pod Kunštátem in Moravia, Lety was responsible for the eradication of more than half of the Roma population in the Czech lands.

The site is now an industrial pig farm with capacity for 13,000 pigs.

Unlike many other concentration camps such as Auschwitz, Treblinka, Mauthausen etc. Lety has no visitor centre, there is no memorial for the hundreds of people, including children, that died there, nor to the thousands more who survived the camp only to be sent to the extermination camps at Auschwitz, Treblinka and others. Lety was staffed entirely by Czech personnel. To date, only Josef Janovský the camp's director, for the years 1945 to 1948 has been tried; he was found not guilty.

Lety has been overlooked in the 1991 agreement of the Conference for Security and Co-operation in Europe which binds states to

"...attempt to protect and maintain monuments and memorials, including the most well-known extermination camps and related archives, which stand as evidence of the tragic events in the common history (of the signatory states). Such measures should serve to make sure that those events will not be forgotten. They will help to teach this and future generations about those events and ensure that those events never happen again."

 

In December 1998 an open letter demanding the closure of the pig farm and the setting up of a memorial was sent to the Czech government, signed by a number of well-known cultural figures and spiritual leaders, both within the Czech Republic and abroad, including Simon Wiesenthal, Günter Grass, Václav Malý, Karol Sidon and Tomáš Halík.

There has been no official response, but individuals who defend keeping the factory farm claim that local unemployment would increase (it currently has 18 employees). Some say that eliminating a pig farm just for the Roma is not worth it or that what happened in Lety is not really a crime on the same level as the genocide in the camps in Poland, Germany and Austria. Others claim that the Czech Republic's entire privatization process could be thrown into doubt.

While in some countries holocaust denial is illegal, Porrajmos denial still seems to be universal.

source: The shameful pig farm

Further info video

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.