As knowledge is power (over fear (especially necessary in an election year)), and in this age of conspiracy theories, disinformation, misinformation, solar flares, cell towers, AI and Wi-Fi, the following has been adapted and collated from the DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, March 2017, for dissemination to the masses to assist in the creation of an actual, factual common frame of reference and starting point for further elucidation and constructive conversations. Fortunately, electromagnetic hardening exists: Actions taken to protect personnel, facilities, and/or equipment by blanking, filtering, attenuating, grounding, bonding, and/or shielding against undesirable effects of electromagnetic energy. See also electronic warfare; electronic countermeasures. (JP 3-13.1)




electromagnetic radiation
Radiation made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields and propagated with the speed of light. (JP 6-01)
electromagnetic spectrum
The range of frequencies of electromagnetic radiation from zero to infinity. It is divided into 26 alphabetically designated bands. See also electronic warfare. (JP 3-13.1)

electromagnetic radiation hazards
Transmitter or antenna installation that generates or increases electromagnetic radiation in the vicinity of ordnance, personnel, or fueling operations in excess of established safe levels. (JP 3-13.1)
hazards of electromagnetic radiation to fuels
The potential hazard that is created when volatile combustibles, such as fuel, are exposed to electromagnetic fields of sufficient energy to cause ignition. Also called HERF. (JP 3-04)

hazards of electromagnetic radiation to ordnance
The danger of accidental actuation of electro-explosive devices or otherwise electrically activating ordnance because of radio frequency electromagnetic fields. Also called HERO. See also electromagnetic radiation; HERO SAFE ordnance; HERO UNSAFE ordnance; ordnance. (JP 3-04)

hazards of electromagnetic radiation to personnel
The potential hazard that exists when personnel are exposed to an electromagnetic field of sufficient intensity to heat the human body. Also called HERP. (JP 3-04)

Source:
https://www.tradoc.army.mil/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/AD1029823-DOD-Dictionary-of-Military-and-Associated-Terms-2017.pdf


300 words total for Brevity Quest 2024

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.