1. Petty borrowing an attempt at chiseling. "That jerk is always on the bit (borrowing). He just put the handle on me for a deuce (two dollars)." 2. Real name, as distinguished from an alias.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
(small addendum to above):

Also, traditionally, in computer science, a handle is a pointer to a pointer. It is another level of abstraction on top of traditional pointer logic and pointer math, and thus has its own intelligence behind it. hWnd are really psuedo-handles (it is really a pointer to a struct).
hand-roll = H = handshaking

handle n.

1. [from CB slang] An electronic pseudonym; a `nom de guerre' intended to conceal the user's true identity. Network and BBS handles function as the same sort of simultaneous concealment and display one finds on Citizen's Band radio, from which the term was adopted. Use of grandiose handles is characteristic of warez d00dz, crackers, weenies, spods, and other lower forms of network life; true hackers travel on their own reputations rather than invented legendry. Compare nick, screen name. 2. A magic cookie, often in the form of a numeric index into some array somewhere, through which you can manipulate an object like a file or window. The form `file handle' is especially common. 3. [Mac] A pointer to a pointer to dynamically-allocated memory; the extra level of indirection allows on-the-fly memory compaction (to cut down on fragmentation) or aging out of unused resources, with minimal impact on the (possibly multiple) parts of the larger program containing references to the allocated memory. Compare snap (to snap a handle would defeat its purpose); see also aliasing bug, dangling pointer.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Alter-egos. Secret-identities. In the era of the internet boom they are no longer restricted to superheroes. You have 'em. I have 'em. Some people have dozens while others stick to one. Some tend toward the 'oooh scary' mystical (DarkAngel, Demonstrike) while others tend toward the nauseatingly cute (GurlyGurl, SurferDude). Often, especially within the confines of an unnamed fascist ISP (which might as well just dump its software by the plane load over our heads) they include a random set of numbers at the end. This way, dozens of people can experience the not so unique joy that is being SatansKitten7531. There are various levels of subscribers to the alter-ego experience. Some completely flesh out a entire virtual personality while on the opposite end there are the users who create an identity consisting of the first letter of their first name, their lastname, and little else. No... must.. suppress... yawn.

That being said, mine is about as uncreative as they come. But maybe it exudes creative potential. It all started in the most uninspired fashion. I bought a hat. Like most products that turn us into walking advertisements, the company logo was splashed proudly across the front. This is where I differ from the average American consumer: I wasn't buying the hat for its brand name, hell, I didn't even know what the company was or what MCD stood for. I just liked the hat, with the lettering and the little spade on the side. I've always had a thing for concise symbols. Well, for some reason, those three letters were bent on bugging the hell out of whoever did read them. 'No! It just doesn't make any sense, they must mean something!' People get worked up over the strangest things. When I answered friend's queries about it with the ineveitable 'I have no clue,' people began to invent their own acronyms. Here's a sample:


Master Congo Dancer
MC Delite
Malodorous Canker Discharge
My Crooked Dick
Mister Crispy Dick
Mild Camel Dementia
Mac Cool Daddy
Measured Cyanide Distribution
Mean Coarse Dwarfs

and so on. Try it yourself with your own handle. It's wacky mad-libs style fun! Especially good on long road trips.

Impressed with those three little letter's lack of a permanent identity and their malleability, I thought, 'damn. what a perfect pseudonym that would be; a name that can evolve with the person it is associated with.' Thus mcd was born. It has been my alter-ego since high school and has spawned its own website, mycrazydream.net.



Oh yeah. The hat stood for More Core Division.

Han"dle (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Handled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Handling .] [OE. handlen, AS. handian; akin to D. handelen to trade, G. handeln. See Hand.]

1.

To touch; to feel with the hand; to use or hold with the hand.

Handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh. Luke xxiv. 39.

About his altar, handling holy things. Milton.

2.

To manage in using, as a spade or a musket; to wield; often, to manage skillfully.

That fellow handles his bow like a crowkeeper. Shak.

3.

To accustom to the hand; to work upon, or take care of, with the hands.

The hardness of the winters forces the breeders to house and handle their colts six months every year. Sir W. Temple.

4.

To receive and transfer; to have pass through one's hands; hence, to buy and sell; as, a merchant handles a variety of goods, or a large stock.

5.

To deal with; to make a business of.

They that handle the law knew me not. Jer. ii. 8.

6.

To treat; to use, well or ill.

How wert thou handled being prisoner. Shak.

7.

To manage; to control; to practice skill upon.

You shall see how I will handle her. Shak.

8.

To use or manage in writing or speaking; to treat, as a theme, an argument, or an objection.

We will handle what persons are apt to envy others. Bacon.

To handle without gloves. See under Glove. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Han"dle (?), v. i.

To use the hands.

They have hands, but they handle not. Ps. cxv. 7.

 

© Webster 1913.


Han"dle, n. [AS. handle. See Hand.]

1.

That part of vessels, instruments, etc., which is held in the hand when used or moved, as the haft of a sword, the knob of a door, the bail of a kettle, etc.

2.

That of which use is made; the instrument for effecting a purpose; a tool.

South.

To give a handle, to furnish an occasion or means.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.