The Hamster in the Microwave Trick in Maniac Mansion works like this:
1. Get the hamster.
2. Put it in the microwave. (This only works with certain characters; others say it's too cruel. Off the top of my head, Sid and Razor will do it.)
3. Give the remains to Weird Ed.
As a result of being dead, you get to play through the rest of the game as a ghost! Unfortunately, this never seemed to stop the Edisons from seeing you, but it was fun.
Well, not a ghost, just invisible. Also note that you lose all your items carried by the person killed, including, weirdly enough, your cd player. So not only are you invisible, you don't get any more music while playing as that character, and anything you didn't have the presence of mind to pawn off on another character.

Be aware that Nintendo actually considered this "trick" to be a bug-- and eventually, they fixed it. So the technique Working Class Zero outlines above works only on the first couple batches worth of cartridges of Maniac Mansion manufactured. If your copy of the game happens to contain the later revision, the bug will be gone, the technique will not work, and being killed by Wierd Ed will actually result in, um, death.

Sorry.

Um, ok, looking now i discover that Working Class Zero actually does acknowledge the fact this didn't work in later copies in his writeup under Maniac Mansion.. you should go read it.
Maniac Mansion was a really cool game..

You can also microwave Weird Ed's hamster in Day of the Tentacle (it's required to complete the game, as far as I remember), but this time around they included a "don't try this at home" and the deep-frozen hamstericle is merely thawed by the oven.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.