The coarseness or fineness of coffee grounds is refered to as the grind of the coffee.

see:Mind enhancing drug
The confidence man's or panhandler's persuasive and energetic line of talk; grifting in an area in which the victims have little money and yield only to great pressure.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
A grind is a skateboarding trick in street and freestyle, and sometimes in vert and flatland. The grind is the basic trick and the essence of street and freestyle (along with the flip).

The following are the most common grinds:
50-50
Boardslide
Nosegrind
Noseslide
5'0
Tailslide
Crooked Grind
Over-Crook
Smith
Feeble
Bluntslide
Nosebluntslide

grilf = G = grind crank

grind vt.

1. [MIT and Berkeley; now rare] To prettify hardcopy of code, especially LISP code, by reindenting lines, printing keywords and comments in distinct fonts (if available), etc. This usage was associated with the MacLISP community and is now rare; prettyprint was and is the generic term for such operations. 2. [Unix] To generate the formatted version of a document from the nroff, troff, TeX, or Scribe source. 3. [common] To run seemingly interminably, esp. (but not necessarily) if performing some tedious and inherently useless task. Similar to crunch or grovel. Grinding has a connotation of using a lot of CPU time, but it is possible to grind a disk, network, etc. See also hog. 4. To make the whole system slow. "Troff really grinds a PDP-11." 5. `grind grind' excl. Roughly, "Isn't the machine slow today!"

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

I think that the grind has been a synonym for work for as long as I've been alive but I've noticed it taking on a certain connotation in the age of the gig economy and always on call culture. Grind as a concept is increasingly used to refer to jobs where there are no set hours. This means that anytime you aren't working you're effectively losing money. Peoples' relations to this circumstance will vary with their feelings about money and work. On one hand a grind is a chance to trade time for more money which can appeal to financially needy or motivated people. On the other hand those prone to guilt and worry are likely to get caught in anxious notions that they could be working. Either way, grinding and the fixation on it have combined with social media to create hustle culture. Hustle culture is probably best understood as the horrible sequel to self help where social media addiction provides constant encouragement to keep at and pursue your dreams. Unsurprisingly, this is rarely effective.

While grinding isn't fun it is sometimes useful. For people who need or want flexible schedules or just want to make some money on the side options like Uber are huge. Same with freelance writing and the hundred other choices to try to make a buck. Of course the problem with being your own boss is the same as its main advantage: you decide when and how much you work. Structure can be confining or it can be grounding depending on the person and the circumstance. The evolution of formal employment over the course of the past two centuries has seen several transitions such as default forty hour work weeks and insurance packages. Digitally mediated transactions are able to replace a lot of overhead and grant more choices to the people on the ground but it's yet to be seen whether or not the grind is the future of work or just one more option for making ends meet.

IRON NODER XVI: MORE STUBBORN-HARD THAN HAMMER'D IRON

Grind (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Ground (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Grinding.] [AS. grindan; perh. akin to L. frendere to gnash, grind. Cf. Grist.]

1.

To reduce to powder by friction, as in a mill, or with the teeth; to crush into small fragments; to produce as by the action of millstones.

Take the millstones, and grind meal. Is. xivii. 2.

2.

To wear down, polish, or sharpen, by friction; to make smooth, sharp, or pointed; to whet, as a knife or drill; to rub against one another, as teeth, etc.

3.

To oppress by severe exactions; to harass.

To grind the subject or defraud the prince. Dryden.

4.

To study hard for examination.

[College Slang]

 

© Webster 1913.


Grind (?), v. i.

1.

To perform the operation of grinding something; to turn the millstones.

Send thee Into the common prison, there to grind. Milton.

2.

To become ground or pulverized by friction; as, this corn grinds well.

3.

To become polished or sharpened by friction; as, glass grinds smooth; steel grinds to a sharp edge.

4.

To move with much difficulty or friction; to grate.

5.

To perform hard aud distasteful service; to drudge; to study hard, as for an examination. Farrar.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grind, n.

1.

The act of reducing to powder, or of sharpening, by friction.

2.

Any severe continuous work or occupation; esp., hard and uninteresting study.

[Colloq.]

T. Hughes.

3.

A hard student; a dig.

[College Slang]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.