These are just a couple of ideas that I have floated in my head the past few days on the eve of the inauguration of a new president.

  • 1. Change House of Representative terms from 2 years to 3 years. By doing this, certain odd numbered year elections would now have more meaning. Also, it would allow for better legislation as each congressman (or woman) would at least have some time to think things over instead of worrying about raising enough money for the next election cycle. Also, a Representative should be roughly half as important as a Senator, whose term currently lasts 6 years. I would keep Senate terms at 6 years.
  • 2. Increase the number of members in the House of Representatives. Currently, there are 435 members in the House. These are divided among the populations ofthe various states. However, this number has been the same since the early 20th century, when our population was not nearly what it is today. The recent census figures highlight the problem. Oklahoma, which had a population increase of nearly 10% in the decade since 1990, is actually going to lose one seat! I understand from reading George Will's column last week, that this could be done without a Constitutional Amendment.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.