One of the better examples of John Lennon's tendency towards self-reference in his songs (see also "All you need is love").

He references "Strawberry Fields Forever," "I Am the Walrus," "Lady Madonna," "The Fool on the Hill," and "Fixing a Hole."

The line "the walrus was Paul" is said to be one of the three clues in the song that Paul is dead, as the walrus is said to be a sign of death in Greek culture. The other references are to the dovetail joint, which is said to be used in casket-making (However, I've seen dovetail joints in many other items. A dovetail joint is the strongest joint there is, not needing nails to hold it together, and I see it as more John's comment on the band falling apart), and to the "glass onion," said to be a coffin with a glass lid.

However, a glass onion is an old term for the astronomical concept of the earth-centered universe. The stars and planets were all fixed in crystle spheres surrounding the earth like the layers of an onion.

"A View"

Well here's another place you can go:

Where everything flows
Looking through the bent backed tulips
To see how the other half lives...

Standing on the cast iron shore... yeah

Looking through a glass onion

I told you about the fool on the hill - I tell you man he livin' there still!

Well here's another place you can be, listen to me

Fixing a hole in the ocean
Trying to make a dove-tail joint
Looking through a glass onion

The mind is incomprehensibly powerful; in our collective unconscious, we solidify illusions - the nightly news.
People know about information that can be used to sell them more, and different products. Only.
My soapbox is flat and my voice is hoarse.
Our hummingbird hearts fade, eyes glaze and shoulders ache from idly buzzing wings. We ask "why?"
It is these fallacies... this life... it is the reason people go hungry, war is fought and love is not made.
Please take it (away) as you will.

The Beatles lyrics reprinted from memory.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.