In the Star Trek universe, the Gamma Quadrant is 1/4 of the Milky Way, usually oriented in the upper-right on maps of the galaxy.

Exploration of the Gamma Quadrant opened up to the Federation upon the discovery of the Bajoran wormhole providing a stable route 70 000 light-years from near Bajor in the Alpha Quadrant to the Idran system.

The dominant power (known to us) there is the Dominion, though following their defeat in 2375, the political climate may change.

Notable species from the Gamma Quadrant include the Founders, the Jem'Hadar, and the Vorta.

One-quarter of the entire Milky Way Galaxy, the portion most distant from the United Federation of Planets. At its closest point, the Gamma Quadrant is some 40,000 light-years from Federation space. In 2369, a stable wormhole was discovered near the planet Bajor, enabling the free flow of traffic to and from that distant part of the galaxy. ("Emissary", DS9). Even without benefit of the Bajoran wormhole, archaeologist Vash explored the Gamma Quadrant for two years, thanks to Q. In the Gamma Quadrant, she discovered some remarkable civilizations, including cultures whose histories date back millions of years. ("Q-Less", DS9).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.