For"feit (?), n. [OE. forfet crime, penalty, F. forfait crime (LL. forefactum, forifactum), prop. p.p. of forfaire to forfeit, transgress, fr. LL. forifacere, prop., to act beyond; L. foris out of doors, abroad, beyond + facere to do. See Foreign, and FAct.]

1.

Injury; wrong; mischief.

[Obs. & R.]

To seek arms upon people and country that never did us any forfeit. Ld. Berners.

2.

A thing forfeit or forfeited; what is or may be taken from one in requital of a misdeed committed; that which is lost, or the right to which is alienated, by a crime, offense, neglect of duty, or breach of contract; hence, a fine; a mulct; a penalty; as, he who murders pays the forfeit of his life.

Thy slanders I forgive; and therewithal Remit thy other forfeits. Shak.

3.

Something deposited and redeemable by a sportive fine; -- whence the game of forfeits.

Country dances and forfeits shortened the rest of the day. Goldsmith.

 

© Webster 1913.


For"feit, a. [F. forfait, p.p. of forfaire. See Forfeit, n.]

Lost or alienated for an offense or crime; liable to penal seizure.

Thy wealth being forfeit to the state. Shak.

To tread the forfeit paradise. Emerson.

 

© Webster 1913.


For"feit, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Forfeited; p. pr. & vb. n. Forfeiting.] [OE. forfeten. See Forfeit, n.]

To lose, or lose the right to, by some error, fault, offense, or crime; to render one's self by misdeed liable to be deprived of; to alienate the right to possess, by some neglect or crime; as, to forfeit an estate by treason; to forfeit reputation by a breach of promise; -- with to before the one acquiring what is forfeited.

[They] had forfeited their property by their crimes. Burke.

Undone and forfeited to cares forever! Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


For"feit, v. i.

1.

To be guilty of a misdeed; to be criminal; to transgress.

[Obs.]

2.

To fail to keep an obligation.

[Obs.]

I will have the heart of him if he forfeit. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


For"feit, p. p. ∨ a.

In the condition of being forfeited; subject to alienation.

Shak.

Once more I will renew His lapsed powers, though forfeite. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.