The operating forces of the Navy consist of fleets, seagoing forces, fleet marine forces, and oither assigned Marine Corps forces, the Military Sealift Command, and other forces and activites assigned by the president or the SECNAV.

Fleet (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Fleeted; p. pr. & vb. n. Fleeting.] [OE. fleten, fleoten, to swim, AS. fleótan to swim, float; akin to D. vlieten to flow, OS. fliotan, OHG. fliozzan, G. fliessen, Icel. fljOta to float, flow, Sw. flyta, D. flyde, L. pluere to rain, Gr. &?; to sail, swim, float, Skr. plu to swim, sail. √84. Cf. Fleet, n. & a., Float, Pluvial, Flow.]

1.

To sail; to float. [Obs.]

And in frail wood on Adrian Gulf doth fleet.
Spenser.

2.

To fly swiftly; to pass over quickly; to hasten; to flit as a light substance.

All the unaccomplished works of Nature's hand, . . .
Dissolved on earth, fleet hither.
Milton.

3. (Naut.)

To slip on the whelps or the barrel of a capstan or windlass; -- said of a cable or hawser.

 

© Webster 1913


Fleet, v. t.

1.

To pass over rapidly; to skin the surface of; as, a ship that fleets the gulf. Spenser.

2.

To hasten over; to cause to pass away lighty, or in mirth and joy.

Many young gentlemen flock to him, and fleet the time carelessly.
Shak.

3. (Naut.)

(a)

To draw apart the blocks of; -- said of a tackle. Totten.

(b)

To cause to slip down the barrel of a capstan or windlass, as a rope or chain.

 

© Webster 1913


Fleet, a. [Compar. Fleeter (?); superl. Fleetest.] [Cf. Icel. flj&?;tr quick. See Fleet, v. i.]

1.

Swift in motion; moving with velocity; light and quick in going from place to place; nimble.

In mail their horses clad, yet fleet and strong.
Milton.

2.

Light; superficially thin; not penetrating deep, as soil. [Prov. Eng.] Mortimer.

 

© Webster 1913


Fleet, n. [OE. flete, fleote, AS. fleót ship, fr. fleótan to float, swim. See Fleet, v. i. and cf. Float.]

A number of vessels in company, especially war vessels; also, the collective naval force of a country, etc.

Fleet captain, the senior aid of the admiral of a fleet, when a captain. Ham. Nav. Encyc.

 

© Webster 1913


Fleet, n. [AS. fleót a place where vessels float, bay, river; akin to D. vliet rill, brook, G. fliess. See Fleet, v. i.]

1.

A flood; a creek or inlet; a bay or estuary; a river; -- obsolete, except as a place name, -- as Fleet Street in London.

Together wove we nets to entrap the fish
In floods and sedgy fleets.
Matthewes.

2.

A former prison in London, which originally stood near a stream, the Fleet (now filled up).

Fleet parson, a clergyman of low character, in, or in the vicinity of, the Fleet prison, who was ready to unite persons in marriage (called Fleet marriage) at any hour, without public notice, witnesses, or consent of parents.

 

© Webster 1913


Fleet (?), v. t. [AS. flEt cream, fr. fleótan to float. See Fleet, v. i.]

To take the cream from; to skim. [Prov. Eng.] Johnson.

 

© Webster 1913


Fleet, v. i. (Naut.)

To move or change in position; -- said of persons; as, the crew fleeted aft.

 

© Webster 1913


Fleet", v. t. (Naut.)

To move or change in position; used only in special phrases; as, of fleet aft the crew.

We got the long "stick" . . . down and "fleeted" aft, where it was secured.
F. T. Bullen.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.