The largest BBS in Norway, and possibly in all of Europe. Open since early 1995, and with telnet access since late 1995, it's frequented by a substantial part of the Norwegian hacker/fledgling hacker milieu.

FIX has a large conference system, an IRC-like chat system, and usually at least 10-15 users online at once. Correctness and quality of information is valued, IRC-like tendencies and B1FFisms are not. FIX is free and independent, surviving on the funds of the founders.

To get "a fix" of something is to get a dose of it, it possibly being an addictive substance or activity. Some need a "fix" of video games, others need a fix of more terrible substances afflicting the human animal such as crack or heroin.

1. An agreement, secured through bribery, chicanery, intimidation, whereby a criminal indictment is quashed,or the severeity of a sentence or of a charge lessened. "The fix is in. Don't take no plea (plead guilty to a lesser offence). The worst you'll score for (get) is a draw (suspended sentence)." 2. Any arrangement by which laws, rules, or regulations are circumvented; or by which penalties are evaded; the alzo. "Mickey Mouse from uptown and his mob got a license (police permission) to hustle (steal) on the cannon (picking pockets) here. The fix is in solid."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950
FIX=Financial Information eXchange (FIX) protocol.

This protocol is gaining popularity for real time order execution and trade reporting connectivity in financial systems. It is an ascii protocol that's almost an XML language, but not quite (there's a FIXML effort going on).

FIX is being developed and maintained by the FIX protocol organization that is managed by the world's leading financial firms.

FITNR = F = FIXME

fix n.,v.

What one does when a problem has been reported too many times to be ignored.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

To fix an animal is also a slang term meaning to castrate it (usually neutering for males, spaying for females). Animal rights groups, Bob Barker, and just about everyone else advocate fixing your pets so they won't contribute to the acute overpopulation of cats and dogs in America (and everywhere else, for that matter). Funny how they advocate castration to solve the pet epidemic but they never mention the benefits of fixing your kids who have the potential of contributing to a far more threatening problem.

Also, I can't help but wonder about the term. If you're fixing them, does that mean they were broken to begin with?

Fix (?), a. [OE., fr. L. fixus, p.p. of figere to fix; cf. F. fixe.]

Fixed; solidified.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fix, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fixed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Fixing.] [Cf. F. fixer.]

1.

To make firm, stable, or fast; to set or place permanently; to fasten immovably; to establish; to implant; to secure; to make efinite.

An ass's nole I fixed on his head.
Shak.

O, fix thy chair of grace, that all my powers
May also fix their reverence.
Herbert.

His heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.
Ps. cxii. 7.

And fix far deeper in his head their stings.
Milton.

2.

To hold steadily; to direct unwaveringly; to fasten, as the eye on an object, the attention on a speaker.

Sat fixed in thought the mighty Stagirite.
Pope.

One eye on death, and one full fix'd on heaven.
Young.

3.

To transfix; to pierce.

[Obs.]

Sandys.

4. Photog.

To render (an impression) permanent by treating with such applications a will make it insensible to the action of light.

Abney.

5.

To put in order; to arrange; to dispose of; to adjust; to set to rights; to set or place in the manner desired or most suitable; hence, to repair; as, to fix the clothes; to fix the furniture of a room.

[Colloq. U.S.]

6. Iron Manuf.

To line the hearth of (a puddling furnace) with fettling.

Syn. -- To arrange; prepare; adjust; place; establis; settle; determine.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fix, v. i.

1.

To become fixed; to settle or remain permanently; to cease from wandering; to rest.

Your kindness banishes your fear,
Resolved to fix forever here.
Waller.

2.

To become firm, so as to resist volatilization; to cease to flow or be fluid; to congeal; to become hard and malleable, as a metallic substance.

Bacon.

To fix on, to settle the opinion or resolution about; to determine regarding; as, the contracting parties have fixed on certain leading points.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fix, n.

1.

A position of difficulty or embarassment; predicament; dillema.

[Colloq.]

Is he not living, then? No. is he dead, then? No, nor dead either. Poor Aroar can not live, and can not die, -- so that he is in an almighty fix.
De Quincey.

2. Iron Manuf.

fettling.

[U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.