On many United States airlines, the seating near the front of the plane. The advantages of first-class travel usually include (some depending on length of the flight):

Of course there is usually an ungodly cost associated with first-class airline seats. People that fly first-class tend to be taking advantage of a boondogle, rich, or using up some of those frequent-flyer miles.

Airline nirvana. When flying first class, you board before everyone else. That pause between the first class passengers and the start of general boarding? That's to give the flight attendant time to get you your drink before the aisle crowds up.

Before takeoff, you're given a menu with the dinner selections and a wine list, to peruse while sipping your drink during takeoff. Take note, your drink is surrounded by a glass, not one of those pathetic plastic cups. Usually a nice tumbler with the airline logo etched into it.

After takeoff, the flight attendant comes around to take your order and answer any questions you may have about the wine list. If you've downed the first drink, you'll get another.

Before dinner is served, a tablecloth is brought out for your oversized tray table. Appetizer first, on a real china plate, with metal utensils. Miniature salt and pepper shakers. Cloth napkins.

Salad comes next, usually with an individual bottle of dressing. After the salad course is done, the main course is brought out. Last time I flew in first, it was a glazed salmon filet with a rice pilaf and some beautiful vegetables. The person next to me had a Chateaubriand with mashed potatoes. Very nice.

Let's not forget the basket of piping hot rolls, served with real butter. I'd swear they were fresh baked on the plane (they probably are).

After dinner, as the descent begins, the flight attendant brings out a hot towel for you to freshen up before landing.

Once you try it, you can't blot the memory from your mind. Every time you fly coach, you're thinking of first class, wishing that an upgrade was available, wishing you weren't traveling with others in coach, wishing you were 'up there'.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.