Something in your eyes,

Huge and still blue in the low light of the computer screen, reflected from my face to yours, I can see the calm sweet sadness of memory there, and as they close in slow-motion, the peace of the present takes that sorrow's place.

Makes me want to lose myself
In your arms.

And I was, so completely lost and oblivious. It wouldn't be until the next day (today), while you were gone to work that I would sit in your room and listen to the song again, and truly begin to realize why you had said that this was my song.

There's something in your voice
That makes my heart beat fast.

Or slow... from almost terrifying racing pounding from your monosyllabic lover's words, the language spoken only in the furnace of passion, in my ear when we are cheek-to-cheek, to the calming knowledge of your head on my chest when we are falling asleep, you stroking my arm and breathing sweet words on my neck, giving me peace...

Hope this feeling lasts
the rest of my life.

Nights like last night make me believe that it will.

If you knew how lonely
My life has been,
And how long I've been so alone

Oh, God, but I do. It's been a year of being dead to the world, not caring about anyone or anything, and feeling only self-hatred for the terrible mistake of letting you... making you go. This has not been a good time in my life.

And if you knew how I wanted someone
To call my love
And change my life the way you've done

More than a quarter of my life, you've been my reason for doing what I do, whether or not we've been together. You didn't just change me, you re-defined me. You made me a person, and then not a person, and now I am myself again. Oh, I know.

It feels like home to me
It feels like home to me
It feels like I'm all the way back
Where I come from.
It feels like I'm all the way back
Where I belong.

(sigh)

A window breaks down the long, dark street.
And siren wails in the night.
But I'm all right, coz I have you
Here with me, and I can almost see
Through the dark there is light.

Days and nights like these we can begin to truly let things slide. And maybe sometimes it goes too far, our lives won't wait forever, but last night nothing could've pulled me from that bed and your warmth.

If you knew how much this moment
Means to me, and how long I've waited
For your touch,

Rubber-knees for the first hug you gave me, unable to speak for fear my tongue would be swollen and foolish words would spill out into your ears because you touched my neck when you held me, and I (somewhere in me) instantly knew what was going to happen, the realization that I had been waiting for months to feel your hands on me again.

And if you knew how happy
You are making me

Although somehow it's neither you or me; it's "we" making "us" happy.

I never thought I'd love anyone
So much.

Big fat uh-huh.

It feels like home to me
It feels like home to me
It feels like I'm all the way back
Where I come from
It feels like I'm all the way back
Where I belong.



lyrics by Chantal Kreviazuk
track 12 from "What if it All Means Something"
Columbia Records

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.