Fas"ten (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fastened (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Fastening (?).] [AS. faestnian; akin to OHG. festin&omac;n. See Fast, a.]

1.

To fix firmly; to make fast; to secure, as by a knot, lock, bolt, etc.; as, to fasten a chain to the feet; to fasten a door or window.

2.

To cause to hold together or to something else; to attach or unite firmly; to cause to cleave to something , or to cleave together, by any means; as, to fasten boards together with nails or cords; to fasten anything in our thoughts.

The words Whig and Tory have been pressed to the service of many successions of parties, with very different ideas fastened to them. Swift.

3.

To cause to take close effect; to make to tell; to lay on; as, to fasten a blow.

[Obs.]

Dryden.

If I can fasten but one cup upon him. Shak.

To fasten a charge, ∨ a crime, upon, to make his guilt certain, or so probable as to be generally believed. -- To fasten one's eyes upon, to look upon steadily without cessation. Acts iii. 4.

Syn. -- To fix; cement; stick; link; affix; annex.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fas"ten, v. i.

To fix one's self; to take firm hold; to clinch; to cling.

A horse leech will hardly fasten on a fish. Sir T. Browne.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.