Legal prostitution. Selling your actual body to corporate america for money, (i.e. raise right arm, insert screw into bracket, repeat until death.)

Commentary here. We have the technology to replace probably 95% of factory jobs with robots. Imagine this scenario. Man pays $60,000 for a robot that will do his job at the factory for the rest of the man's life. In a few years the robot's paid off and the man is still making his usual salary and all he has to do is keep up the robot, or pay someone else to. We have the ability to have these people getting paid their entire life but not have to go rot at the factory everyday. Our capitalistic society cannot support such a model. There is no way for anyone but the company to make the money from the robot working. Even if we did, we have no way to decide who gets to not work. So instead we continue to force people to rot away their lives putting in the same 4 screws 600 times a day for the rest of their life.

Something to think about.

There are infinately many types of factory jobs, as varied as the companies that support them. While some types of jobs are being taken over by robots and/or computerized control, there are still many things that need to be done, that for one reason or another cannot be done by a machine. Examples are system maintenance and repair, integration, and yes, janitorial work. Also, quite simply, humans are typically cheaper labor. I'm sorry, but there are plenty of college students, single mothers/fathers, and new immigrants (legal and illegal) to compete directly with technology for efficiency.

Very technically, I am a factory worker. Most of the companies I work for are industrial, and thus I get to see inside many different styles of factory environments. One such company packages the casing for hotdogs (the stuff that it is cooked inside, not what you eat). I would estimate there being somewhere around 20 "menial" workers, who operate the machines and take care of the rolled casing. While I have no idea how much these people make, I know they are not "rotting away" as they perform their somewhat-limited functions. Do they make as much as I do, the hotshot contract worker with the fancy laptop and technical know-how? Doubtful. While I wouldn't call myself highly trained, I have worked very hard to get where I am. That's the point of capitalism.

The problem with replacing "95% of factory jobs with robots" is that, quite simply, robots aren't that good. I deal specifically with this task of creating solutions that will automate an assembly, eliminating the human element as much as possible. The cost of developing a simple part-sorting machine is well above several years of a single worker doing the same task. The machine would be able to do this much faster, but the machine would also require several people to build it, operate it, and maintain it. The more complex machines, such as the automation for car assembly plants, requre small armies of humans to do these jobs. In fact, my father is one of these said "soldiers", at a new GM plant in Lansing, MI.

That said, any type of job can become menial and slave-like with the mere application of one's imagination. If a job is intolerable, one should make changes, whether by changing the nature of the job or by leaving the job and finding something more to one's liking. Otherwise, there must be something "ok" enough about it to make one stay. While the "capitalist pig owners" or (sinister voice) "The Corporation" may or may not be making a killing because of these employees, these days most companies will reward the people who help them make that money, including their wage slaves.

Afterthought: most of my factory experience is in the Chicago-suburb area. I mean no offense to 723, now that I have read that he (seems to have) worked in the Rockford area. Companies and corporations are just as likely to abuse its workers as reward them. Human nature, I suppose.

Everyone should have a pointless factory job at least once for a couple months. For character.

You begin to appreciate just how much work must go into the creation of just one car or cell phone when you have these jobs. Things become more real, because the Cell Phones are no longer Miracles of the Modern Age. They become tangible. The result of potential energy turning into kinetic energy and producing work, aka The Things You Buy.

We've become really detached from what's making the world work. Our lives are already mediated. We need to experience the changing of things from raw materials to finished product to help us appreciate it more. Do you appreciate the computer you use because it simply helps you get work done? Or do you realize the work that went into making it?

If we make robots to do the work, who will make the robots?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.