C2H6O2, a clear, colorless, slightly syrupy liquid at room temperature, practically odorless and tasteless, sometimes found as a vapor. often used in making antifreeze and other deicing solutions, polyester compounds, a solvent for paints & plastics, photographic developing solutions, hydraulic brake fluids and in inks.

this is some nasty shit. ingesting lots of ethylene glycol can result in death. smaller doses may result in nausea, convulsions, slurred speech, disorientation and heart and kidney problems as well as screwing with the body's chemistry by increasing the amount of acid, causing in metabolic problems. oh, did i forget to mention birth defects in females and reduced sperm counts in males? it will take a lot of this to do any of this stuff, but it's still some nasty shit. it breaks down rather quickly in your body and the environment and is not carcinogenic.

it's still not a good idea to eat/drink this stuff for any reason at all.

thanks to the cdc's toxFAQs for help - http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.