The second track of Van Halen's debut album. This solitary piece of music sparked a revolution of a new electric guitar playing style, as well as a lesson in how tone was to be achieved from said guitar. Eddie Van Halen, a classically-trained pianist and guitarist, took the world by storm when he unleashed his eruption onto the world. This piece features two-handed tapping, uses of the phaser and flanger effects in ways no one had heard before, and an amazing tone out of his Marshall SuperLead amplifier. From here on in, every guitarist and their mother was trying to clone his style presented forth in this piece of music, but no one was ever able to capture the magic shimmering, bright tone and unique playing style.

E*rup"tion (?), n. [L. eruptio, fr. erumpere, eruptum, to break out; e out + rumpere, to break: cf. F. 'eruption. See Rupture.]

1.

The act of breaking out or bursting forth; as: (a) A violent throwing out of flames, lava, etc., as from a volcano of a fissure in the earth's crust. (b) A sudden and overwhelming hostile movement of armed men from one country to another. Milton. (c) A violent commotion.

All Paris was quiet . . . to gather fresh strength for the next day's eruption. W. Irving.

2.

That which bursts forth.

3.

A violent exclamation; ejaculation.

He would . . . break out into bitter and passionate eruditions. Sir H. Wotton.

4. Med.

The breaking out of pimples, or an efflorescence, as in measles, scarlatina, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.