En`ter*tain" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Entertained (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Entertaining.] [F. entretenir; entre between (L. inter) + tenir to hold, L. tenere. See Tenable.]

1.

To be at the charges of; to take or keep in one's service; to maintain; to support; to harbor; to keep.

You, sir, I entertain for one of my hundred. Shak.

2.

To give hospitable reception and maintenance to; to receive at one's board, or into one's house; to receive as a guest.

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers; for thereby some have entertained unawares. Heb. xiii. 2.

3.

To engage the attention of agreeably; to amuse with that which makes the time pass pleasantly; to divert; as, to entertain friends with conversation, etc.

The weary time she can not entertain. Shak.

4.

To give reception to; to receive, in general; to receive and take into consideration; to admit, treat, or make use of; as, to entertain a proposal.

I am not here going to entertain so large a theme as the philosophy of Locke. De Quincey.

A rumor gained ground, -- and, however absurd, was entertained by some very sensible people. Hawthorne.

5.

To meet or encounter, as an enemy.

[Obs.]

Shak.

6.

To keep, hold, or maintain in the mind with favor; to keep in the mind; to harbor; to cherish; as, to entertain sentiments.

7.

To lead on; to bring along; to introduce.

[Obs.]

To baptize all nations, and entertain them into the services institutions of the holy Jesus. Jer. Taylor.

Syn. -- To amuse; divert; maintain. See Amuse.

 

© Webster 1913.


En`ter*tain" (?), v. i.

To receive, or provide entertainment for, guests; as, he entertains generously.

 

© Webster 1913.


En`ter*tain", n. [Cf. F. entretien, fr. entretenir.]

Entertainment.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.