Elm is an email program for Unix variants. (This the "E-Lectronic Mail.") It was formerally very popular; however, the University of Washington's PINE has taken the place of Elm. One of the expansions of the letters of PINE is "Pine Is Not Elm" (notice the recursive nature of the acronym).

Trees of the family Ulmaceae, genus Ulmus. There are many different Species. You probably have a pretty good idea of what an Elm looks like. That picture of a generic tree you have in your mind... no, not the pine; the big angiosperm standing off by itself. Yep, that's an elm.

The leaves are the traditional leaf (deciduous, leaf shaped, toothed edges). The bark, is again traditional (usually brownish-gray, and bumpy). Height, traditional (80-120 FT.). A tree's tree.

And being a tree, it gets cut down and chopped up. Elm wood is tough and hard, and doesn't spilt easily. Ulmus thomasii and Ulmus americana are a little hard to work easily, but are strong. Ulmus rubra is more pleasant to work with, has the advantage of being both shock and wear resistant, and it steam-bends nicely.

In the early 1900s, Dutch elm disease appeared in Europe, probably having come from Asia. By the 1930s it had made it to America, and today has made it pretty much everywhere there are elms. It has killed untold millions of elm trees, wiping out entire forests. An infected tree will start wilting, it leaves turning yellow and dying. Within a few years, the tree will die. It is caused by the fungus Ophiostoma ulmi (sometimes called Ceratocystis ulmi), which is spread by the elm bark beetle. Species of elm trees from Asia, such as the Chinese elm and Siberian elm, are much more resistant to Dutch elm disease than are European and American species.

Other diseases that infect elm trees are Elm yellows (AKA elm phloem necrosis), and Bacterial leaf scorch.

And, for your viewing pleasure, here are some of the more common elms, and their Latin names. Enjoy!

American Elm, White Elm, Florida Elm, Swamp Elm, Water Elm; Ulmus americana L.
Basket Elm, Cedar Elm, Southern Rock Elm; Ulmus crassifolia
Camperdown Elm, Umbrella Elm, Weeping Elm; Ulmus glabra camperdownii.
Chinese Elm, Hokkaido Elm, Lacebark Elm; Ulmus parvifolia
Cork Elm, Hickory Elm; Ulmus Thomasii
Dutch Elm, Cork Bark Elm; Ulmus hollandica (This is often written Ulmus x hollandica)
English Elm; Ulmus procera or Ulmus campestris
European White Elm; Ulmus laevis
Japanese elm; Ulmus japonica
Nave Elm; Ulmus campestris or Ulmus procera
Red Elm; Ulmus campestris, Ulmus crassifolia, Ulmus procera, or Ulmus rubra
Rock Elm; Ulmus alata, Ulmus crassifolia, or Ulmus thomasii
Scotch Elm, Scots Elm, Wych Elm, Irish Leamhan, Mountain Elm; Ulmus glabra Huds.
Siberian Elm; Ulmus pumila L.
Slippery Elm, Gray Elm, Soft Elm, Moose Elm; Ulmus rubra Muehl.
Smooth-leaved Elm; Ulmus minor
Winged Elm, Hard Elm; Ulmus alata.

Closely related trees sometimes called elms:
Bastard Elm, False Elm (Common Hackberry, American Hackberry); Ulmaceae Celtis occidentalis
Japanese Zelkova; Ulmaceae Zelkova serrata

here's more info about elms... Elms are in the genus Ulmus, and are found in temperate areas throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. Their leaves are generally small and have serrated edges. Elms are a common landscape tree; however before choosing an elm in your landscape you should keep some things in mind. There are several types of elm, some of the most popular are the American Elm, the Siberian Elm, and the Chinese Elm.

The american elm is a beautiful, graceful tree. However, it has been ravaged by Dutch Elm Disease and most of the american elms in cities, as well as in Eastern forests, have been tragically killed. American Elm clings to life only on the far west coast where the disease hasnt totally penetrated. I remember them taking out some beautiful American Elms a block from my childhood home because they were dying.

Chinese elm is a much more common street tree these days; although they arent quite as graceful as American Elm, they are beautiful trees with puzzle-shaped bark pieces and a nice form. They shouldnt be planted right next to sidewalks as the roots tend to tear them up. Also, they can lose branches, especially if trimmed improperly.

siberian elm is also a graceful tree, looking more like American Elm than Chinese Elm. it isnt used much in landscaping

zelkovas are also in the elm family, they look similar except for the different seed pod structure.

Elm (?), n. [AS. elm; akin to D. olm, OHG. elm, G. ulme, Icel. almr, Dan. & Sw. alm, L. ulmus, and E. alder. Cf. Old.] Bot.

A tree of the genus Ulmus, of several species, much used as a shade tree, particularly in America. The English elm is Ulmus campestris; the common American or white elm is U. Americana; the slippery or red elm, U. fulva.

Elm beetle Zool., one of several species of beetles (esp. Galeruca calmariensis), which feed on the leaves of the elm. -- Elm borer Zool., one of several species of beetles of which the larvae bore into the wood or under the bark of the elm (esp. Saperda tridentata). -- Elm butterfly Zool., one of several species of butterflies, which, in the caterpillar state, feed on the leaves of the elm (esp. Vanessa antiopa and Grapta comma). See Comma butterfly, under Comma. -- Elm moth Zool., one of numerous species of moths of which the larvae destroy the leaves of the elm (esp. Eugonia subsignaria, called elm spanworm). -- Elm sawfly Zool., a large sawfly (Cimbex Americana). The larva, which is white with a black dorsal stripe, feeds on the leaves of the elm.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.