Eight is twice four, which means that it carries twice four's stability and worldliness. Eight follows seven, which is the number of life in this world, so 8 is often seen as the number of life after death.

Eight has four's capacity for dazzling defeat, but it also has a capacity for big big success (because it's twice as big as four). Therefore eight is big in Christianity, where after death we have the possibility of either massive failure (hell) or big-time success (heaven). Eight's ties to the afterlife are also the reason that the infinity symbol is an 8 on its side.

Eight people are worldly and solid. They may fail miserably or succeed wildly, and of course the numerologists will tell you that this depends on the rest of your numbers. Now, if you have a nine in there....

In rowing, the largest shell consisting of eight rowers and one coxswain. Covering 2000m in under five and half minutes, the fastest event at a rowing regatta. The glamor event, in one of the most unglamorous sports.

Other rowing events include the four, and pair oared shells, and the quad, double, and single sculls.

KANJI: HACHI ya (eight)

ASCII Art Representation:

 
                        %%%%,
              %%,,         %%%
              %%%%%%        %%
              %%%%%         %%
              %%%%%         %%
              %%%%%          %%
              %%%%%          %%
              %%%%%          %%%
              %%%%%          %%%
             %%%%%%          %%%
             %%%%%           "%%%
             %%%%%            %%%,
            %%%%%             %%%%
            %%%%"              %%%,
           %%%%%               %%%%,
           %%%%                 %%%%,
          ,%%%                  "%%%%%,
         ,%%%                    "%%%%%%,
        %%%%                      "%%%%%%%,,,
      ,%%%"                        "%%%%%%%%%%%%
    ,%%%"                            ""%%%%%%%%"
%%%%""                                  "%%%%"
 

Character Etymology:

Once written as )( to symbolize a splitting or dividing. Some scholars feel it was later used for eight as eight is a number which easily divides, others feel that its shape was close to the old way of showing eight by bending down the three middle fingers and extending the thumb and pinky finger.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: HACHI
kun-yomi: ya ya(tsu) ya(tsu) you na ha haっ hatsu yachi yatsu

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: hachigashira

English Definitions:

  1. HATSU, HACHI, ya(tsu), ya(ttsu), ya: eight.
  2. o(ya)tsu: a between meal snack.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 369
Henshall: 66

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

(hachigatsu): August.
(yaoya): vegtable store; Jack-of-all-trades; dabbling in all lines of knowledge.
八つ当たり (yatsuatari): a sudden outburst of anger.

  Previous: white  |  The Japanese Kanji Metanode  |  Next: hundred

Webcomic artist, best known for his work on Road Waffles. His real name, birthdate, and similar vitals are unknown. Eight lives in Thunder Bay, Ontario (up in Canada).

Eight is also a decent musician, with mp3s of his works up at <www.mp3.com/eight> for those interested in listening.

Eight has created over fifteen different series of comics throughout his life, some of them self-published, but almost all of them available over the ubiquitous internet at <www.eightland.com>. His most recent comics have suffered due to unresolved personal issues, but it would appear that the worst is over and that he's slowly climbing back up to his success that he enjoyed back in the heyday of webcomicry.

A list (potentially incomplete) of comic series by Eight is now presented in no particular order. Ratings are provided (rated by Eight, and approximate to movie ratings), so you know what to avoid.

There are also a number of one-shot comics available at his website.

Eight (?), n. [See Ait.]

An island in a river; an ait.

[Obs.] "Osiers on their eights."

Evelyn.

 

© Webster 1913.


Eight, a. [AS. eahta; akin to OS. ahto, OFries. achta, D. & G. acht, OHG. ahto, Icel. atta, Sw. �x86;tta, Dan. otte, Goth. ahtau, Lith. asztni, Ir. & Gael. ochd, W. wyth, Armor. eich, eiz, L. octo, Gr. , Skr. ashan. . Cf. Octave.]

Seven and one; as, eight years.

 

© Webster 1913.


Eight (?), n.

1.

The number greater by a unit than seven; eight units or objects.

2.

A symbol representing eight units, as 8 or viii.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.