Noun: Slang which is a bastardization of the words ear and orgasm, intended as a compliment to music that stirs the loins and brings about warm fuzzies in all the right places for a human being that appreciates the best music. A song is only an eargasm if you personally listen to it a lot and get great satisfaction out of it, predominantly while using headphones. If it puts a cheshire cat smile on your face, it's an eargasm.

The descriptive adjective form is eargasmic.

I'd say that this word applies even more fittingly to feelings of sexual arousal and maybe even orgasm evoked by stroking, kissing or sucking the ear or the area around it. I'd always thought it was just a hentai game myth that the ear is an important erogenous zone for girls (it certainly isn't for me) - until I started to smooch with my current girlfriend last Friday and found that gently sucking her earlobe would make her breathe harder and harder until, it seemed to me, she was about to get off right there and then, without me so much as touching her breasts or anything. I couldn't explore the phenomenon fully because we were on a park bench and she was feeling embarassed of being seen, but next time, I'll try to find out how far this really goes...

While I would agree with Zach in the basic elements of his definition, I would suggest that a true eargasm is only very rarely, if ever, an entire song, often lasting only a few beautiful, precious seconds. I would suggest that a single song is not likely to have more than one such passion-inspiring moment unless the song is either incredibly powerful or very long. I do agree that what inspires an eargasm is totally subjective, in the ear of the beholder, if you will, and there is usually something rare and special about a particular musical moment which somehow claims the full attention of a specific listener, cutting him or her off from the rest of the world, and creating a vacuum in which that person is desperately and breathlessly absorbed in the aural flow. Despite the subjective nature of the eargasm, I would also suggest that there are certain bands and musicians who are less likely to induce an eargasm, as there is a certain... (depth of sound is perhaps the term I'm looking for) necessary libidinous drive required, which some music (muzak leaps to mind here) simply lacks.

Lots of songs can leave lots of people with cheshire grins, but for each person there are only a few phonic creations powerful enough to leave stains. It is important also to note that a musical eargasm cannot rely on a particular lyrical line, though a word or line of words are often included. The feeling you get when you read or hear a particular line of words is a different kind of pleasure alltogether, far more mental and less animalistic than a pure eargasm.

An eargasm requires no thought at all.

To a Pink Floyd fan, Clare Torry's mind-melting climax of vocal mayhem in Great Gig in the Sky would be an excellent example of how the human voice can, without lyrics, set off a serious eargasm.

To a Ben Harper fan, the few seconds leading into and through the opening of the final chorus of The Woman in You, after the leslie organ has kicked in might send you quivering to a couch or, if driving, off a road into a ditch.

To a grunge fanatic like myself, the massive wall of Chris Cornellian harmonies which slams the listener almost nine minutes into Temple of the Dog's Reach Down still gives me a chubby after literally hundreds of plays.

To a melodic-metal-loving Deftones freak, featured vocalist Rodleen's seething, scathing, unbreathing, perfectly-tuned and intensely high-pitched screams at the end of Knife Prty might leave you with a spot on your trousers.

Space rockers might find their eyes shooting from disbelieving sockets each time Matthew Bellamy hits that scrotum-shriveling note a minute into Muse's operatic Micro Cuts.

John Coltrane's eye-watering run two and a half minutes into Giant Steps--oh yeh, you know, that line--might be just your brand of eargasm.

Whatever your poison, realize that such moments are yours and yours alone. There are no words (at least, if there are, I have never heard them) for the effect such music can have on any person, and I would imagine that each person's reaction to music is unique.

Treasure your eargasms.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.