On the savanna of the bedroom floor, the mysterious life cycle of the dust mote can be fully observed. The zygotes hang suspended in the shaft of sunlight that falls through the window, waiting for an appropriate host to pass beneath. Eventually a feline, canine, or other personable creature is drawn to that warm patch of hardwood floor, and, becomes drowsy. The dust motes settle around their cast off hair, clinging to the static electricity. At this point they are nascent dust mice, and must ride incidental air currents to a low dark place, generally underneath a bed or bureau. In this comfortable space, the explosively fertile dust mice quickly reproduce by fission, creating a colony of dust bunnies. A mature colony creates a soft, billowy structure otherwise similar to a coral reef. The mature colony also emits the zygote dust motes into the local atmosphere. Occasionally, researchers have observed an individual dust bunny exiled by the colony, emerging to seek out a hospitable place in which to found a new colony. Under certain conditions, perhaps as a precursor to mass migration, the colony begins to cannibalize itself, pairs of dust bunnies fusing to form gargantuan dust bison. This usually leads to the destruction of the colony, as the roving herds of dust bison are easily detected and often initiate human intervention with vacuum cleaners.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.