I heard of this on January 24, 2001:

Along with a few other webpages, www.hugedisk.com unwittingly left a footnote for the newly elected appointed president of the United States of America in the databases of search engines around the world.

Many modern webcrawlers, necessary components of search engines such as Yahoo and Google, cache the referencing link to a webpage for correlation of the page's content to search terms when a user conducts a search. This practice assists in finding definitions, formulas, pictures and other content referenced in links.

When HugeDisk linked "dumb motherfucker" to George W Bush's on-line campaign store, George's store quickly rose in relevancy in searches conducted for "dumb motherfucker." As of this noding, it is at the tops of Google's and Yahoo's lists.

HA HA HA

Yahoo, at the request of the president, quickly took this reference out of their database, and www.georgewbushstore.com added this note to their site:

(Note: If you have arrived at this site through inappropriate references via a search engine, please be assured that we did not utilize this language in our site, our HTML, nor in our internet promotion of this site. What happened was the result of a malicious act and we are pursuing remedies through the efforts of our staff and attorneys.)

Priceless.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.