An adjective indicating a state of well-being. A cutesy way of saying "I'm good." It seems to get a smirk out of folks who ask how you're doing as a matter of conversation and expect a pat response.

A character in the John Hughes movie Pretty in Pink, Ducky was played by John Cryer. In the film, Ducky is in love with Andy (played by Molly Ringwald) who is, sadly, in love with a rich kid. Ducky embodies the "best friend" syndrome with which many guys can sympathize. Although he has a slew of unbelievably terrific qualities like sensitivity, chivalry, style, comedy, and the willingness to dance to an Otis Redding song to make his lady smile... Andy ditches him for a chance with pretty boy Andrew McCarthy.

As everyone knows, Ducky gallantly steps aside to watch Andy dance away with her Prince Moneybags at the prom. His love remains unrequited as his resolve holds fast, leaving him to gaze at his princess from afar as only a supporting character in an 80's teen romance movie can.


'Ello their, ducky

Ducky has been used since the 1500s as a term of endearment. It's used in the same was as dear, darling, pet (UK), or honey (US). In my experience it is not used when talking to your husband/wife, but rather your kids or more likely, used by your great aunt when she is talking to you. It is also much more common in the UK than in America.

This usage probably comes from the English word duck, a ducky being another term for a duckling. It is also possible that it comes from the Middle Dutch Docke, meaning 'doll'.

Around this same time (around 1536), Henry VIII sent a letter to Anne Boleyn telling her that she was the one "whose pritty duckys I trust shortly to kysse." In this case he was using it to mean 'breasts', which was apparently not uncommon back then. This meaning has fallen completely out of usage.

Everything's just ducky!

It's not clear where the usage of ducky to mean 'fine' or 'excellent' came from, but is probably related to the former usage of ducky as a term of endearment. This usage appeared in the late 1800s, and has been with us ever since. This is the second most common American usage, the first being...

All this time, through all these changes, ducky has also meant a baby duck. In this sense ducky is often spelled 'duckie', as in Sesame Street's rubber duckie. This usage is generally considered childish or cutsie, since all the grownup pendants know that baby ducks are properly called ducklings.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.