Also, the name for a third party add-on to a BBS, most commonly a game, but sometimes a statistics generator, an offline mail tool, or others. Doors are independent programs called by the bbs program, and take information from the BBS in the form of a drop file, a text file with information such as username, access restrictions, time left online, etc., in a specific format. After the program is run, control and the user are returned to the BBS. Many bbses have their own format of drop file; the most commonly used are DOOR.SYS, which stems from the GAP bbs software, and DORINFO or DORINFO1 (from RBBS?). While some door coders made an effort to support as many drop file formats as possible, more recent BBS software packages have instead opted to be able to generate many different drop file formats to fit the door. Popular doors include LORD, Trade Wars 2002, BRE, The Pit, Bluewave.

KANJI: KO to (door)

ASCII Art Representation:

 
                                          ,%%%,
"%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 
 
        %%,                         ,%%%,
        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        %%%%                        %%%%
        %%%%                        "%%"
        %%%%
        %%%%
       %%%%
       %%%%
      ,%%%
     ,%%%
    ,%%%
  ,%%%"
%%""

Character Etymology:

A pictograph of a door, being one half of a gate.

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: KO
kun-yomi: to

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: e he tobiranoto

English Definitions:

  1. KO: house; door; family; counter for houses.
  2. to: door.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 2048
Henshall: 108

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

(kogai): outdoor.
(toguchi): doorway.
(koshu): head of the household.

 

  Previous: primitive  |  Japanese Kanji  |  Next: old

Door, as a verb, refers to the act of hitting an open car door on a bicycle. Since dooring is usually done inadvertently, it is usually used in the passive voice, as in "I got doored".

The usual situation when someone gets doored is when riding in a bike lane to the left of a parking lane or shoulder. When a parked car opens its driver's side door, it extends into the bike lane, and any unwary bicyclists could crash into it. A car door is an angular, metal object, so hitting one at 10, 15 or even 20 miles per hour can lead to serious injury. To avoid the threat of being doored, bicyclists should be careful, as should motorists departing their vehicles.

Although I bicycle in mostly rural areas, when I lived in Portland, the threat of being doored was a common thing. It was one of many sticking points in the constant battle between that city's bicyclists and motorists. However, from my own experience, when exercising normal precaution, riding at a moderate speed and with alertness, the danger of being doored is rather minimal.

Door (?), n. [OE. dore, dure, AS. duru; akin to OS. dura, dor, D. deur, OHG. turi, door, tor gate, G. thur, thor, Icel. dyrr, Dan. dor, Sw. dorr, Goth. daur, Lith. durys, Russ. dvere, Olr. dorus, L. fores, Gr. ; cf. Skr. dur, dvara. . Cf. Foreign.]

1.

An opening in the wall of a house or of an apartment, by which to go in and out; an entrance way.

To the same end, men several paths may tread, As many doors into one temple lead. Denham.

2.

The frame or barrier of boards, or other material, usually turning on hinges, by which an entrance way into a house or apartment is closed and opened.

At last he came unto an iron door That fast was locked. Spenser.

3.

Passage; means of approach or access.

I am the door; by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved. John x. 9.

4.

An entrance way, but taken in the sense of the house or apartment to which it leads.

Martin's office is now the second door in the street. Arbuthnot.

Blank door, Blind door, etc. Arch. See under Blank, Blind, etc. -- In doors, or Within doors, within the house. -- Next door to, near to; bordering on.

A riot unpunished is but next door to a tumult. L'Estrange.

-- Out of doors, or Without doors, and, colloquially, Out doors, out of the house; in open air; abroad; away; lost.

His imaginary title of fatherhood is out of doors. Locke.

-- To lay (a fault, misfortune, etc.) at one's door, to charge one with a fault; to blame for. -- To lie at one's door, to be imputable or chargeable to.

If I have failed, the fault lies wholly at my door. Dryden.

Door is used in an adjectival construction or as the first part of a compound (with or without the hyphen), as, door frame, doorbell or door bell, door knob or doorknob, door latch or doorlatch, door jamb, door handle, door mat, door panel.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.