Iffy; suspicious; to be taken with skepticism or mistrust.

Of questionable qualities, in other words.

Dodgy are a British band, formed in 1991. They made their debut at the The Dodgy Club in London, which was their own club. Dodgy were signed under their own label Bostin by A&M Records. Two music publishers wanted to give Dodgy money to record, so Dodgy got them to play a Video Football Game to see who they chose. In the end they chose the losers. They recorded three singles before bringing out The Dodgy Album in May 1993. Homegrown, their second album was released in October 1994. Free Peace Sweet was released in March 1996. In 1997 Nigel Clarke, one of the 3 founder members of dodgy left to persue solo projects. This departure was marked with the release of an album of their best A- and B-sides to date, Ace A's and Killer B's. Dodgy recruited three extra band members; Nick Abnett, David Bassey and Chris Hallam. Dodgy are working on their fourth album Real Estate at the moment. Rather than signing to a record company, they have decided to let fans on their website (www.dodgy.co.uk) invest in the new album.

documentation = D = dogcow

dodgy adj.

Syn. with flaky. Preferred outside the U.S.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

British slang for a homosexual. Primarily used for gay men, but is also appropriate to use for lesbians.

Example:
Guy 1: We were just joking around, right? Just a little lark. I don't even know what I was doing back there ... I mean, I know I'm not dodgey, and I'm sure you're not, either.
Guy 2: Well ... yes ... I am dodgey.
Guy 1: Oh shit! Fuck me ... I mean, don't ... oh shit, fuck me ...

dialogue from Get Real

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.