In American slang, circa WW II, means:
a good looking young woman.

example: "Wow, Bob, look at her, she's a dish! Go talk to her, you're the one in uniform."

Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis, commonly referred to as DISH, is a form of degenerative arthritis with flowing calcification along the sides of the vertebrae of the spine.

DISH used to be called Forestier disease. It is not a type of ankylosing spondylitis.

The victims of this disease are usually over 60 years of age. The etiology is unknown. 97% of DISH cases occur in the thoracic spine area (upper back, below the neck).

Here are the criteria for diagnosing DISH:

  1. flowing calcifications and ossifications along the anterolateral aspect of at least four contiguous vertebral bodies with or without osteophytes

  2. preservation of disc height in the involved areas and an absence of excessive disc disease

  3. absence of bony ankylosis of facet joints and absence of sacroiliac erosion, sclerosis, or bony fusion; however, narrowing and sclerosis of facet joints are acceptable

Dish (?), n. [AS. disc, L. discus dish, disc, quoit, fr. Gr. quoit, fr. to throw. Cf. Dais, Desk, Disc, Discus.]

1.

A vessel, as a platter, a plate, a bowl, used for serving up food at the table.

She brought forth butter in a lordly dish. Judg. v. 25.

2.

The food served in a dish; hence, any particular kind of food; as, a cold dish; a warm dish; a delicious dish. "A dish fit for the gods."

Shak.

Home-home dishes that drive one from home. Hood.

3.

The state of being concave, or like a dish, or the degree of such concavity; as, the dish of a wheel.

4.

A hollow place, as in a field.

Ogilvie.

5. Mining (a)

A trough about 28 inches long, 4 deep, and 6 wide, in which ore is measured.

(b)

That portion of the produce of a mine which is paid to the land owner or proprietor.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dish, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dished (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Dishing.]

1.

To put in a dish, ready for the table.

2.

To make concave, or depress in the middle, like a dish; as, to dish a wheel by inclining the spokes.

3.

To frustrate; to beat; to ruin.

[Low]

To dish out.

1. To serve out of a dish; to distribute in portions at table.

2. Arch. To hollow out, as a gutter in stone or wood. -- To dish up, to take (food) from the oven, pots, etc., and put in dishes to be served at table.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.