OK, he deserves a much better write-up than this. Here goes nothing.......

Since the explosive debut of Pantera way back in 1990, "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott has proven himself to be among the most talented and creative guitarists of this decade. With such masterpieces of brutality as the, for lack of a better word, 'spooky' "Cemetary Gates" and the blistering title track "Cowboys from Hell" (1990's "Cowboys from Hell") on their debut album, followed strongly by the anthemic "Walk" and the unabashed insanity of "Fucking Hostile" (1992's Vulgar Display of Power), Pantera was ashamedly over-shadowed in the mainstream market by the explosion of 'alternative' rock in the early 90's.

More to come later.......

Or maybe not.

Enough with the history lesson, it's time just to state the facts. Dimebag has cranked out the best guitar work in thrash/heavy metal this side of the legendary combination of Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman. He is the best. So go out, buy yourself a Whammy Pedal and a Randall Warhead amp and pick-squeal your pithy existance back into the nothingness from which you came.

 

Editor's note: "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott was killed on Wednesday, December 8, 2004, by a crazed, gun-wielding concert attendee as Darrell's new band Damageplan was on stage. R.I.P.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.