(Ah, the last in a series of long and thankless nodes. If there is anyone out there insane enough to want to learn more about the structure and composition of Ancient Greek, /msg me and I'll do my best to help a fellow lunatic.)

The forth and possibly the most confusing of all the cases is the dative. To save myself the pain, I'll go straight into uses and skip the introduction.



(Pant, pant, sigh, sigh. Ow. I have learned my lesson. I will never again try to think about Greek while on summer break. Make the bad men go away, mommy....)
in Latin, the Dative case is that which is used to express to whom or for whom something is said, given, or done. (really, it just sounds easier than it's greek counterpart... Just wait until I node the exeptions!)

For Example:
English: "The King gives the lady roses."
Latin: "Rex feminae rosas dat."

English: "The sailor often tells stories to the poets."
Latin: "Nauta poetis fabulas saepe narrat."

In Latin, the Dative case uses the endings:
      Sing  Plur
1Dec  -ae   -is
2Dec  -o    -is
3Dec  -i    -ibus
4Dec  -ui   -ibus
5Dec  -ei   -ebus

back to Latin...

Da"tive (?), a. [L. dativus appropriate to giving, fr. dare to give. See 2d Date.]

1. Gram.

Noting the case of a noun which expresses the remoter object, and is generally indicated in English by to or for with the objective.

2. Law (a)

In one's gift; capable of being disposed of at will and pleasure, as an office.

(b)

Removable, as distinguished from perpetual; -- said of an officer.

(c)

Given by a magistrate, as distinguished from being cast upon a party by the law.

Burril. Bouvier.

Dative executor, one appointed by the judge of probate, his office answering to that of an administrator.

 

© Webster 1913.


Da"tive, n. [L. dativus.]

The dative case. See Dative, a.,

1.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.